Skip to main content

Photo Moments...

The start of my scrap blanket.  I'm using all the yarn I have leftover from other projects.  It's my "five minutes for me" handiwork when I need a change of pace from the other current handiwork.


Big fluffy clouds.



A butterfly that often visits the front porch flowers, and....



. . . the cat who tries to catch the butterfly.

One of the hens enjoying some treats I tossed to them.

A bird that was chirping at me at the front porch.  To be honest, this little thing can be quite annoying.  American tree sparrow?  He can chirp for hours and hours.  I may put a bird house by the porch, to see if the wrens will take up home there too next year.


A jar of calendula oil naturally heating in the sunshine.

We had a productive day yesterday.  While Son slept until noon (still adjusting to our time zone), I canned jam, and I am canning more today.  Today will complete the stocking up the blueberries.  I flash freeze them, then bag them and freeze for winter/spring.  Last year's 20 lbs. have lasted over a year (4-5 bags left).

It's tax free weekend, so somewhere in my day, I have to squeeze in school supply shopping - not my favorite thing to do nor spend money on.  I'm going to need a tall glass of herbal iced tea on the porch to recover.

Comments

Susan said…
Calendula ointment is my one and only foray into herbal medicinals. I swear by it. I have planted more this year to replenish my stores - it sure takes a LOT of petals! I agree. I find shopping to be my least favorite thing to do.
Mama Pea said…
You're a mighty tough lady if all you need after school shopping is a tall glass of herbal tea! ;o}
Susan,this is my first time making the oil to make the salve too. It's good to know it works great.
Mama Pea, skip the tea! I am going to need something stronger, like a shot of whiskey. It will numb my brain from remembering the grand total at the check out. Yikes! Longest receipt ever!
That calendula oil sounds wonderful... I'll have to check into this more and see about it.
The iced tea for shopping recovery... hmmm... I see in your comments you need a stronger antidote.
I mega-loathe shopping!
I feel your pain.
I have some birdies in the house hanging off the clothes line poles... they were chirp chirp chirping up a storm today! Little babies wanting momma to bring some food!
Beautiful pictures! I raised 3 children and I understand how to save and be creative to make ends meet. Those years were the best years of my life.
Patricia, I am making the oil to use in a recipe to make salve and another recipe. I really need to plant more next year. It takes a lot. I'm glad school shopping is over (except shoes).
Keeper of the Past, I hope to teach my kids to either do with what they have, or do without, and get through life. Glad you enjoyed the photos.
RB said…
Beautiful afgan pattern, I love all the many colors put together.
We've had butterflies aplenty this year too, all hovering around the butterfly bushes, the crepe myrtles and the four o'clock flowers. They're so beautiful.
Though I've been under the weather, cooler temps got me out in the yard yesterday to move bags of topsoil into the herb garden so I could plant sage, thyme and parsley. Been waiting to do that for nearly a month but with Bro Tom and I both feeling poorly with this virus, it seemed like such a daunting task. Glad it's done. Now to keep it going so we can have our favorite herbs once again.
Have a good weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><
EMMA said…
Love the scrap blanket,very fun! I need to do school supplies shopping too - keep putting it off...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart