One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, August 21, 2014

The "How to" on Home Canned Ketchup



This is how I make my ketchup.  

I do not peel my tomatoes because I use a sauce maker (you could also use a food mill).  Wash, trim and slice up 10 pounds of paste tomatoes.  I simply cut my paste tomatoes in 4th's and toss them in the pot.




I make a spice bag that includes 2 bay leaves, 2 Tbsp. celery seed, 2 tsp. whole allspice, 1 tsp whole cloves, and 1 tsp. black peppercorns. 

I place half of the cut tomatoes into a large pot, along with the spice bag.  I cook them down.



I then add the other half of the tomatoes, along with 2 cups of diced onions (I typically don't measure, and use 2 large ones).





After about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cooking, I discard the spice bag, and run the mixture through my sauce maker.   This removes the seeds, tomato skins, etc. 


(Just out of the sauce maker)


I return the mixture to a clean pot on the stove, adding 2 cups of granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp. pickling/canning salt, and 2 cups of organic Bragg's apple cider vinegar.  I bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to reduce the mixture to a thickness I like.  The amount of time it takes to reduce can be 2 1/2 hours or more, depending on the temperature you use on your stove top.  If it's too high, your ketchup will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.  I use one notch up from medium heat (again I have a very old stove, so this can vary).  I stir it often, as it reduces.



 (reduced and ready to can)

I then ladle it into hot sterilized 1/2 pint jars (about 5-6) depending on how thick you like it), wipe rims, and seal in a canner pot for 35 minutes (starting the timer when the water comes back to a boil).  Leave a 1/2 inch head space.  I remove the lid, and lift up the jars but leave them in for another 5 minutes before placing them on a thick towel for 24 hours.



Once jars are opened they must be refrigerated.  This doesn't last very long after opening, so if you have a smaller need, than can it in smaller jars. 


1 comment:

Liz said...

Good recipe! I am making lots of ketchup this year. The grandson can't get enough! I need one of those food mills.