Skip to main content

Dandelion Vinegar Update and "Mr. Clean"

Remember the dandelion vinegar I made?  


This is a late update on it, but I drained my quart jar, and got about a bit over a pint of the dandelion vinegar.  Sadly, I have to buy all of my greens, and salad mixin's this season, but the vinegar adds a nice flavor.
 
I read somewhere that dandelions (please correct me if I am wrong) are full of calcium too, so this fall when dandelions are back, I plan to make more.    

I told the girls, "if you think I'm crazy now, I'm putting flower petals in you salad."  One daughter responded, "you are far past that Mom!"  I put calendula petals in the salad.



In fact, I plan to have one for lunch on the porch today.  I had ripe cherry tomatoes and added green onion from the herb garden too.

Hubby first started cleaning the master bathroom while I chopped and sliced bell peppers.  He went to the porch to wait for the newly mopped bathroom floor to dry, and started sweeping the front porch.  


Hours later it was spotless.  He turned the hose on it, along with a scrub brush, and by the time he was putting things back in place, he was soaked from the hose.



He even cleaned the ceiling!!  Not a spider web in site.  It was dinner time before I was allowed to sit on the porch again, ha ha!  Of course a few drips dropped on me, but he did a fabulous job.  At least my porch is super clean, if I don't get anything else clean today.   That is where we spend a lot of time, so it was a nice surprise.


Comments

Kim said…
What a way to make momma happy! Give her a nice clean porch. You are right about the dandelions having calcium but I never thought about the vinegar before. Do you get the calcium from them as well as eating them in your salad.
Kim, somewhere in one of the books I read from the library, it said that the vinegar draws the nutrients and medicinal properties from the roots and leaves, and you get them that way too. I'm still getting more books from the library, but we are giving it a try.
Susan said…
Wow! He's a keeper! Do you rent him out??? :) Your porch just glows! Isn't that salad beautiful? My calendula plants are just now beginning to flower - I need to plant more (and earlier) next year.
Susan, ha ha! When he gets going on a project, he really gets going. I need to plant a lot more calendula next year too. I didn't realize I'd use so much.
Unknown said…
I love your big covered porch! I miss that here at our little house, just a front entry way...
Thanks Nancy, it is one of favorite things about the house.
Mama Pea said…
This was our hottest day yet here in Minnesota (the humidity has been AWFUL) so your porch looks wonderfully cool (and clean!). After Mr. Clean makes a house call at Susan's, please send him on to our place!

Edible flowers in salads or other foods are so much fun, let alone attractive. I once served hubby's sister a small dish of cottage cheese with violets on top. She had no idea violets were edible and the look on her face was priceless. The presentation sure was pretty!
Ha Ha! He's so proud of his work! Mama Pea, I think I have broke my kids in now. They never even blinked at the petals and ate it right away.
You're salad looks so delicious. The dandelion vinegar sounds pretty tasty too. I think I've read the same thing about calcium in dandelion or just greens in general.
anyway... it's so hot here, we don't need a hose to be soaked. We just get soaked from being outside sweating!
Your porch looks lovely... how nice of him to clean it all up for you. The shelf is a nice touch too!
YAY! to no spiders... ;)
Patricia, although it rained, the humidity is thick here too. Two spider webs continue to show up every day, even after knocking them down. Persistent spiders they are.
RB said…
Wow! That's a good cleaning husband you've got there. Many of us are lucky if the husband even picks up after himself let alone cleans anything.
The dandelion vinegar sounds interesting. Did it taste like white or apple cider vinegar, or did it have a flavor of its own?
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart