Skip to main content

A Day with the "Queen"

I couldn't hold myself back any longer.   I mean why not?  Hubby is still fixing his truck, so the tree(s) still stands.

I found this recipe by purchasing a discarded library book at a library book sale. You never know what you'll find at one.



And a note:  I do not go looking for recipes like this one, they seem to find me.  And I really enjoy making them, and trying them.  I've been making this one for four years now.



Before the recent road trip, I saw my goat pasture was full of Queen Anne's Lace.  I told myself, that if it was still there when I returned, I'd make more jelly.  Last year I skipped making it, due to our full pantry. 

I checked my pantry, and headed out for 18 large flowers heads.  It's much easier to make than dandelion, and in my opinion, has more flavor.



Oh my gosh!  The entire goat pasture is nothing but red clover and Queen Anne's Lace.  


If I had a licensed kitchen and whatever else is required, I'd be selling a "boat load" of specialty jellies this year.


Isn't it beautiful?

The flower heads are rinsed while I boil the water. 


The flower head are placed facing down into the water.


I cover it and steep off heat for 30 minutes.  


While that cools, I get my jars sterilized, measure the organic lemon juice, get out remaining supplies and measure the sugar.   I don't always use organic sugar.  It's costly here, and I don't have access to it all the time either.  I love the re-useable covers I have.  I believe that they originally came from my Uncle.  I use them all the time.



Uncover the flower heads and water, and cool 15 more minutes, then strain. I use two layers of paper towels to catch any critters I may have missed in the rinse.



Once the pectin, organic lemon juice and sugar is added, it has a pale yellow color.  I am re-posting the recipe today.


Queen Anne's Lace Jelly
(makes 5-8oz.jars)
Adapted with organic ingredients

4 cups water
18 large Queen Anne's Lace Flower Heads
1/4 cup organic lemon lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered pectin
3 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar

Bring the water to a boil and remove from the heat.  Add the flower heads, pushing them down into the water; cover and steep for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and let the mixture cool slightly, about 15 minutes.  

Measure out 3 cups of the liquid into a 4-6 quart pan.  Add the lemon juice and the pectin and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Add the sugar, stirring constantly, and cook until the mixture returns to a rolling boil.  

Boil 1 minute longer.

Remove from heat.  Skim off any foam  Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch space at the top.  With a damp cloth, remove any spills from the rims and threads of the jars.  Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes, counting the time after the water has returned to a rolling boil.  Remove to a towel-lined rack.  Store in a cool place.
(Adapted from Maria Adams' Heirloom Recipes, Putting Things By, page 203)

Note:  Queen Anne's Lace closely resembles Poison-Hemlock.  Know what you are picking before making this jelly.

Comments

EMMA said…
What an amazing colour - looks like champagne!
I'd love to buy some of your speciality jellies!!
Wish I had matching jars....
Emma, it does look like champagne, ha ha! The original recipe requires optional food coloring to be added. I do not add any.
RB said…
The Queen Anne's Lace throughout the pasture is gorgeous, but had me sneezing just looking at the picture. LOL
I often wonder where I got these allergies from. I sure didn't have them as a child.
Have a great week!!!
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it really is strange too. Both goat pastures are full of it.
RB said…
Beautiful blessings from heaven.
;o)
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it is a blessing. Hugs.
Well, I was gungho on making some of this. Until I read your warning/note...about Poison-Hemlock...
Now I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to make it yet!
but I'm pinning your recipe anyway!
Patricia, the jelly is very tasty.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart