Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

More "Feel Good" Moments


I have been busy in the kitchen again, dehydrating heirloom cherry tomatoes.
  
These beauties will be added to winter soups/stews this winter.

I'm  so excited to share....



... I had enough paste tomatoes to make a half batch of seasoned tomato sauce!  That is definitely a feel good moment.  I think everyone in the house was happy to see me pull this sauce maker out again.  Such a good feeling.


While my sauce simmered down I finished freezing the last of the blueberries.  They were not cheap either.


And I washed up all the camping linens, along with some more flour sack towels for handiwork projects.



And, while I waited for the 40 minute water bath to finish (I forgot how much work was involved, but still cherish getting the sauce), I dug out my tatting for edging a kitchen towel.

Now, I must get busy cleaning my house.  We are planning a simple gathering here before Son leaves again, and our 18 year-old leaves for college.  In between both of those happenings, the younger two start school. Where did the summer go.  Truth be told, I'm glad to see it go, considering our garden season this year.

I have cobwebs to brush down, floors to sweep, counters to clean off and tables to uncover (had one covered in tomatoes yesterday, ha ha!).  Toilets and bathrooms need scrubbed, patios swept, more laundry to wash....I better ska-doodle and start scrubbing something.













15 comments:

Kim said...

I am so happy for you. I know how good it feels to put food up for winter.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Kim, although I tried my hardest to not complain about the garden, I ended up talking way too much about it. I should have known something good would come out of it if I was patient.

Lisa B said...

Glad you got s start on tomato sauce Kristina. I forget every year the mess and length of time needed to process it as well as the amount of ripe tomatoes. I'm struggling this year with enough but I'll take what I get.
Tables to clear off? Sounds strange! I thought tables were to pile stuff on like crafts, veggies, and anything I need to deal with. Hmm I may have to work on clearing my table off now!

Mama Pea said...

Hooray for getting at least some tomato sauce made! It will be precious commodity in your house this fall/winter!

Hoping your son's visit has been a good one for him. Time sure passes quickly, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Oh Kristina, I have missed you. I lost your blog again when I redid my blog design. I am so happy you didn't lose me!!! I am sooooooo sorry to hear that you have lost so many fur babies this year! It hasn't been a great year so far... I know exactly the holes in your heart from losing your fur babies as I have one as well! I honestly don't think this hole is ever going to heal. I've never been so attached to a kitty as I was to Raphael, he really was my best friend as silly as that may sound! My DH wants to take me to a different shelter that only cares for kitties and for me to get one or two kittens but I don't know if I'm ready after all of the chaos with these two post Raphael kitties. I'm just numb if that makes any sense. Oh geez, sorry for sounding so sad. I really appreciate your popping by and leaving me that sweet note on my blog. And I'm really happy I've found you again... well you went out and brought me back in from the rain... LOL!

Now as to cuff bracelets... you said you have trouble finding your size? Let me know what size you need and I can make you one easy peasy! Hey, what are blogging sister for after all? I will send you some ideas and you send me the size you need, colors you like and perhaps some photos of what you would like to have and I will be more than happy to be able to send you a present. Heck we girls all like presents now don't we?! :D
Hugs for now,
Beth P

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to say I really like the new look on your blog!!! I also like all those tomatoes turning themselves, with your help of course, into sauce!!! Yummm!
Hugs again,
Beth

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, my kids get so frustrated this time of year, when I typically have vegetables and fruit on every space in the kitchen. They don't complain when it fills their tummy over winter, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, the time with Son has gone wayyyy to fast. We helped him find a car, so now he's set for driving back. I am planning on a porch/patio gathering this weekend so we can all visit. My head is spinning with all the activity and school starting.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Beth, thanks for stopping in again. Maybe some day in the future we'll both have a new fur-baby. I will definitely get with you on the cuff bracelets. One year I crocheted (cuff type style) bracelets, but that was it.

RB said...

Those are some HUGE blueberries. The tatting is beautiful too, never figured out how to do that. I bet the family does appreciate you putting food by, especially the wonderful scent of it wafting through the house as you're doing it.
Any idea where your son is headed next? Prayers for him and the troops he goes with.
Have a great weekend!
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, they are MI blueberries, and they are big and delicious. Son will be heading to NC next.

RB said...

I'm in NC, in Angier, south of Raleigh.
Is he headed to LeJeune or Cherry Point?
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, he's heading to LeJeune.

RB said...

Tell him not to drink the water on base. It was toxic there for over 30 years before the government finally admitted it. It's supposedly been remedied, but it's still running through the lines the tainted water ran through so who are they kidding.
Tell him to drink only bottled water when on base. k
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB, I will be sure to tell him.