Skip to main content

Home Canned Pickled Jalapenos ~ New Recipes Tried

 


Did you can pickled jalapenos last garden season?  Or last year with farmer's market jalapenos?  It was a "new" to us item to add to our pantry, and here is the update regarding the two cornbread recipe trials.  One is actually more like the traditional corn casserole, often served at the winter holidays.


The first recipe we tried, we loved!  If you remember my post, it was a more dense cornbread, but with some home canned pickled jalapenos.  A nice spicy cornbread for soups/stews and chilis. I was incorrect on the source for this specific recipe.  It is online free at Bowl of Delicious.

We adapted organic ingredients, and if you make the recipe with buttermilk, it's even better.  We really liked this recipe.




The next recipe was more of a "corn casserole" type baked dish, very similar to the traditional "corn casserole" one might bake at the holidays for a side dish.  The recipe was from an online source (Farmhouse on the Boone).  I adapted organic ingredients, and used our home grown, and home canned pickled jalapenos.




The results?

The casserole recipe uses less flour, and cornmeal, and ends up a more "spongy" texture and more of a "pudding" type dish vs. a bread type dish.

It was edible, but we did not like it enough to keep the recipe.  The recipe requires a lot more work to make it than the first recipe mentioned first.  Our pick was the first recipe, but you would have to try for yourself.  The second recipe requires a can of whole corn, and a can of creamed corn.  

The winner pick for these two, was the first recipe (by Bowl of Delicious), with adapted organic ingredients, and home canned pickled garden jalapenos.

It was fun trying these recipes, and it's always fun to find a new way to utilize something home grown, and canned.

Comments

Jeanna said…
We've never pickled jalapenos but I think I'd like to give it a try this year. Now to decide...do I grow my own or get them at the farmer's market. Thanks for sharing the recipes sources, Kristina.
Jeanna, we freeze a lot of what we grow, but this saves freezer space, and can be used for so many dishes too. Good to have options.
We do not grow jalapenos but I often get them at the Hispanic farmers market not far from us. I usually just half them and freeze, but I might try pickling this summer.
I would prefer the cornbread vs. the corn pudding consistency.
We grew jalapenos last season. I have a bag in my freezer. I love to make jalapeno jam and candied jalapenos. Last summer, I didn't have a stove. So no preserves this winter. My husband bought me a new stove top last Thanksgiving, so I'll be jamming this summer!
Happy weekending!
Laura
Anne in the kitchen, you'd like the first recipe better. We won't be making the "corn casserole" recipe again. I like the idea of just slicing jalapenos in half to freeze. I've always sliced and frozen ours that way, but sometimes it's easier to measure by the half, and sounds much easier to freeze. Thanks for that tip.
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage, I used to can the jam every year, but only because a friend loved it (we eat jam/jelly very little anymore). We do love the pickled jalapenos for a few recipes. Happy canning this year!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart