Skip to main content

Books ~ Reliable Sources

It's "party" day today.  I'm off to mop the kitchen one last time.  It rained last night, so hopefully it will be less humid outside today too.

We are still working on the "big" barn project.  I may have more news by Monday.


After today's chin-dig, I plan do a bit if sitting. I have many library books to read yet.  


I have found good "root cellar recipes" to try in this book.  I don't always like a "prepper" cookbook as much.  I'm finding some of the cookbooks use processed foods in many recipes.




I still try to read the real books for my reliable sources, as I have had bumps in the road with internet sources.

I found several recipes one day on the internet, but I give one source (Herbalpedia) two thumbs down.



One recipe I tried was the Golden Pumpkin-Calendula Bread.  The person or person(s) responsible for compiling the recipes, left out a few sentences to the recipe.  I went in search for the book it came from, and found the original recipe.  My loaves were about 1 to 1 1/2 inches high, and the bread had bland flavor. 

My bread did not turn out that great.  In fact, I think I will simply add the petals to a pumpkin recipe I already use, and love.

I better ska-doodle.  Maybe I can get Hubby to pull the go-kart out, put air in the tires, and get it running.  Just maybe.  It's been in storage for over a year now.  If not, we'll still have fun. 


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Hope you have a fantastically great celebration. Then collapse with all your interesting looking reading! You will have earned it. ;o}
Mama Pea, we tried to fire up the go-kart, but it would not start. Either way we still had a nice day (although the weather was humid). I am looking forward to a slow day today.
RB said…
I hope you all do have great fun.
I hope everyone reading has a good Sunday too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart