Skip to main content

Fall Ends ~ Blueberry Millet Muffins

Yesterday morning there was a layer of fog over the fields.  Kind of pretty and perfect for a Halloween-ie type photo.



 
Walking to the mailbox I discovered
the recent rain brought me another batch of parsley.  I quickly cut that, and got it in the dehydrator.  It's packed with goodness, so I was thrilled to get more stashed for winter.




If I am going to attempt to bring in my rosemary plants, I will have to do it today.  They are predicting snow Friday and temperatures in the low 20's.  

Five Minutes for Me ~  a cup of rosemary tea.  I simply brewed it with fresh sprigs.


Last week I placed an order to stock up on millet.  The company sent me a free box of organic brownie mix.  Youngest baked it up.  Delicious!

I also re-stocked my millet and discovered a Blueberry Millet Muffin recipe.  I am not a vegetarian, so I don't stock items such as potato starch or other starch to eliminate flour.  So. I adapted the recipe to what I had, and they turned out pretty good.





First, I had to grind my whole, raw millet into a flour (2 cups).  Then I mixed it with the dry ingredients:
 
½ cup organic all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg

I creamed the softened butter (real butter) with the brown sugar, before adding the remaining ingredients.


1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup butter, softened
3 eggs
½ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract

I lastly, stirred in 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries (that I stocked up on over summer).   I did use my homemade lemon and vanilla extracts for this.

Bake at 350°F for about 25-30 minutes in lined muffin pan.



The muffins have more of a nutty flavor than blueberry, but they were still good and hearty.


Give a Mom a Junk Drawer.....
 

....and she ends up making Christmas decorations using what she finds in the drawer.  I know, I know.  I couldn't help myself, and I hate throwing plastic in my garbage.  Oh, I'm already making another "thing" to share soon.  I had no business getting into a playing mode, but I was hit by the creative bug while decluttering.

Go over to S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot (link provided) to see more on what I created.

Last night one of the girls helped me put a few pieces of outdoor furniture in storage, and officially started stacking wood on the porch for winter heat.  Rain and possibly snow is in today's forecast, and I didn't want to be hauling in wood in the rain (or snow).

Have a good weekend and stay healthy and warm.



Comments

I love that you're so creative with the junk drawer!
Good for you.
I've never used millet. Your recipes sound interesting.
We have some wood cut and finally have a forecast of temps in the upper 30s over night lows... we'll be getting ready to haul some wood up then too.
Keep up the good work there on your homestead...
Sam I Am...... said…
Good for you on the re-purposing. I've been wanting to "chuck it all" and sit down and do something creative too.
I transplanted my herbs yesterday as we had freeze warnings but it never froze.
Your muffins turned out looking very delicious. I've not used millet before but nice to know I can use my food processor to make flour.
Take care and stay safe and dry and warm. Happy Halloween!
RB said…
Very cold weather headed our way tomorrow and into Monday, maybe longer. I also got the last of my parsley picked, cleaned, dried and into individual plastic bags in the freezer. To save money on plastic bags, I pack individual portions in cheap sandwich bags, then toss all those in the more expensive plastic freezer bags. It's more economical, and I often can use the more expensive freezer bags repeatedly doing it that way cause the cheap sandwich bags often keep contaminants from spreading to the more expensive bag.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart