Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, October 13, 2014

Random Tidbits ~ The Hawk and the Hamster


Hubby was out putting the new mower belt on the mower, but was back inside just as quick.  It did not fit.  Back to the store for another one, but today the rain has arrived. 



Youngest carved a pumpkin for the front porch.  Timmy was very curious and was in her lap at one point.

My chickens were pretty happy yesterday.  They got a few last tomatoes from some plants yet to get pulled.  They were following me around while I pulled cucumber plants and squash plants.  There are still more plants to pull yet, but today I'll be inside.

In fact, according to the weather, we are to get rain for four days straight, and some heavy at times.  




 (in progress)

I've got a few projects going on.  One that is necessary. I hope to have time to finish this one by next week.


I'll most likely be busy in my kitchen today, along with other housework.   I joked to Hubby this morning, saying it was time to "make the donuts."  Remember that commercial?  I kind of felt like that today.  Both of actually.  Hubby especially.  He was dragging his feet for sure.  He worked 2nd shift, and was back up to work 1st today.   He forgot his lunch too.

Oh, by the way, the corn relish is delicious on baked cod.  We had it recently.  I simply baked the cod with olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, and salt and pepper.  Then we topped it with some homemade corn relish.  Very good.  Youngest mixed some in with her mashed potatoes/garlic and chives too.

With everyone changing their home decor to fall, I finally took down the front door wreath, and swapped it for my apple wreath.  I've had it for several years, and it still looks good.  

 
The Hawk and the Hamster

I laughed as I excitedly ran to the living room, and asked who wanted to see my cupcake, and watched my 15 year-old turn so quickly (before the other kids).  She is the "hawk" in the family.

If there is any food laying around, she'll be sure to spy it and zoom in.  Especially chips. Hence the "hawk."

Hubby is the "hamster."  If he hears anyone opening a package, the crinkling of a bag of chips, or whatnot, he'll be the first to say "whatcha got?"  


 Here is the Cupcake - an ornament, and obviously not real, ha ha!   I did not have the darker brown yarn, but it turned out pretty cute.  The free pattern is online with Red Heart yarn.  These are larger than I thought, but cute.

2 comments:

Susan said...

That ornament is adorable! I have a Hawk and a Hamster in my house, but they are both cats... :) I am looking forward to some rain so that I have an excuse not to go outside and work!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I printed the pattern a few years ago, and just got around to giving it a whirl. This rain is putting me in a baking mood. Whoever has dish night tonight won't like me very much, ha ha!