Skip to main content

Rat, thief, molting? Or just too cold?

We seem to have a situation in the chicken coop.  On October 21st of 2013, this is what we got from the coop:


This year?  We are getting two or three of we are lucky.  Either we have another rat (which I have not seen egg shells, or do rats eat all of it?), another thief getting in somehow, molting, or they need a heat lamp now.  

It has been getting cold, but Hubby insisted we don't need heat on them "just yet."  I beg to differ.  I'll put a lock on the door this week, put heat on them, and see if the production increases.  

A stray cat outside was aggravating Jesse last night.  He was barking about midnight or so, and would not stop.  Timmy, our black barn (male) cat, was actually chasing this cat off.  Normally, Timmy would be "oh please, don't go, be my friend." 

We do need more flood lights, so that is on the winter prep list now.   As for the cat, it can keep on, movin' on.  No vacant rooms at the Inn.

This time last year, I was also canning Carmel Apple Jam, and making these recycled baby food jars of homemade taco mix for Christmas presents.  I had spray painted the lids, and glued crochet granny rounds inside recycled bottle cap lids and made them into magnets, and decorated the jar tops with them.    I was also making lots of things with our pears.  This year?   Nada.  No canning, no pears, no handmade Christmas gifts, no anything.   I seem to be slacking this fall.

It's also colder than last October was.  I better get on the ball and get winter prep full throttle.  


 

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
You are no "slacker"! Don't even go there. I hope you figure out what's up with the egg production or lack there of.
I am still wondering why our acorns around here are still green? Strange things are happening everywhere....Halloween is coming!
Debby Flowers said…
Hi Kristina,
I have never commented here before but have been following you for a while. Your egg situation is much like my own, but I have this come up most every late fall. I send some of my old hens to the freezer to make room for the pullets, but the pullets aren't laying yet, then almost everybody starts molting! Feathers all over the place! Anyway, things will get better. I enjoy your blog and admire your energy. You are one of my inspirations that led to my own blog... not as fancy as yours but if you would like to visit... olelakefarm.blogspot.com Thanks for being you!
Debby, thanks for commenting and for following my blog. I'm glad I can be an inspiration even though I lack content this fall season.

Sam I am, this fall is very strange indeed. Today we have thick fog, but it rolled in after the school bus left. Very strange weather.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart