Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ Cranberry Apple Squares

The trees are now turning on our property.  This is a sign that I look for in terms of how much time I have to get winter prep done.


I think an oak or sugar maple tree would add some color here too. 


  I put this new picture up recently.  I love it.  

Yesterday we had dreary skies.  It was cold, damp and drizzly out.  Today we are having the same weather.  I woke up to get all the kids up, only to find out that the school has a scheduled 2 hour delay today.  

Today, my next oldest turns 18.  The big 18.  Sigh.  She doesn't want a birthday cake nor ice cream.  Nor streamers decorating the house in our normal tradition.  I told her she is too young to feel her birthday is not special.  Maybe I can convince her to request a special dinner this week, or something special.  I guess we'll see.  Sleeping in on her birthday has to be a treat in itself too.

A while back, Mom gifted us some cranberries, so I decided to make some fruit bars.   



Cranberry Apple Squares
(adapted using organic ingredients, homemade applesauce, and homemade vanilla extract)

1 1/2 all purpose flour, divided
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/3  cup plus 3 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce, divided
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. butter
1 small apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped cranberries (fresh or frozen)
2 eggs
1 tsp. lemon juice 
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon


Heat oven to 350°F.  Place parchment paper in a 13 x 9 inch pan (or grease and flour it, or spray with non-stick spray).  

In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup apple sauce and baking powder.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or fork and knife) until blended.

In a larger bowl, combing apple, apricots, cranberries, remaining 3 tablespoons applesauce, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.

In a small bowl, combing remaining sugar, 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon.  Add this to the fruit mixture.  Stir until blended.

Press 1/2 to 3/4ths of the crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.  Top with fruit mixture.  Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over top.   Bake 40 minutes or until lightly browned.  

Broil 1 to 2 minutes, 4 inches from heat until golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.  

Yield:  16 servings. 

Note:  The crumb mixture is sticky, so I sometimes spread it out with my small rolling pin, and a piece of waxed paper in between.   This is a chewy, fruity bar.


After the fruit bars are cut and stored in a container, they become soft.  Almost like a cake. 

 

Comments

Sandra said…
We have the dreary skies today, it rained early this morning and it looks like we may have more on the way.

Beautiful trees aren't they? And your cranberry squares look divine :)
Mama Pea said…
Our trees are almost barren of leaves now. Color is gone and the winds are taking care of the rest. Enjoy your beautiful color season.
Sam I Am...... said…
Fall is really just starting here now and it's perfect weather..cool at night and high 60's or low 70's during the day and lots of sunshine. I wait all summer for this weather!
Your trees are gorgeous and that is a great picture.
Fruit squares sound good!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart