Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Baking ~ Cocoa Mochas ~ Deep Cleaning


After a trip to the library, I was back home baking yesterday.


I was blessed with overly ripe bananas, so first I made banana bread (using my canned applesauce).  While that was baking, I mixed ingredients for the next item - chewy granola bars.  Lunch packings are now re-stocked.


The girls have invented a new hot beverage - Cocoa Mochas.  They mix homemade hot chocolate in with brewed organic black coffee.  I have not tried it yet, but they say it is good.

My "Five Minutes for Me" was spent doing some cross-stitch.  I was literally in my jammies and cozied up cross-stitching around 5:00pm.  It was dark, damp, drizzling, and cold out.  It felt like winter.  However, after Hubby came in the room and started laughing at me (for quitting work early), the sun happened to come out.  I literally changed gears and we moved the bed from the wall, pulled containers out, dusted and swept.  

We still have that thing that starts with "c" - carpet.  A very nasty deep carpet that sucks in the dust, dog and cat hair in it.  Every fall we clean, and clean, and talk about how we'll rip it out one day (when we have the time, ha ha!).

I joked that we were on a treasure hunt, and we'll find things we forgot we had.  We did.  Hubby found reading glasses. I found my old briefcase, which I used to tote back and forth to my career choice, in high heels, hose, and suits.  Speaking of "totes" I found a tote filled with tote bags.  I also found a purse I didn't remember having.  I ended up sorting out my stash, and two empty totes were put in the garage.

My briefcase is going to the thrift, along with many tote bags.  I also had old typewriter cartridges, and correction tape.  It filled one entire box.  The last time we moved, I gave away my old electric typewriter. Maybe I should have kept it.  Hubby and I had a laugh about that.  Today, I shampoo in there, which could take me a few days to finish.

Update on Hubby's sister:  she talked to him on the phone, and the hospital cannot not find what is causing the pain.  They will be releasing her to a facility soon (I think), until she can go home.

Either my keyboard is failing on me now, or it needs new batteries.  It's driving me nuts.  It's very slow today.  

Sun is up.  Off to work.  Have a good Tuesday.

5 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

You are very busy!
I printed off a list of 10 things to do in 10 minutes. So far I've stared it a total of 10 minutes!
You are quite the adventuresome woman!
WE had lots of rain push through yesterday morning... over 5 inches! We desperately needed it.
I'm hoping it soaked into the ground well enough to easily pull the weeds from one of the garden boxes. I'll be doing that this morning I think. Along with some 10 minute projects. ;)
Hey! Tell you daughters cocoa mochas is delish-- I make homemade cocoa and use it on occasion in my coffee, it is so yummie!
I had to back off because of the sugar.
Happy Tuesday!

Susan said...

I still have the "c" word on the floors of all the bedrooms. It is even in the master bath (which I hate). I have plans to change the bathroom this winter. I love the idea of 5 for me. Maybe I will give it a go.

Carolyn said...

I feel your pain. I've been "Spring" cleaning the last five days. I'm late at everything. But we're having a garage sale and what I don't sell is going straight to the Salvation Army. The mess caused by cleaning sure is annoying though. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

Mama Pea said...

I haven't been hit by the fall cleaning frenzy yet, but I have been baking. Just took a Berry Patch Coffeecake out of the oven for breakfast in the morning. Will serve it with shirred eggs and fresh frozen peas from the garden, I think. (We have an overnight guest so I wanted to make an extra nice meal.) Didn't squeeze in any handwork today (rats!). Maybe tomorrow.

RB said...

We usually find cat toys under everything when we clean. No matter how large the toys are, they manage to get them beneath things. I even got them a BIG bright yellow/green tennis ball that I thought was too large to fit under furniture (and would be too colorful to miss if they did) - in a matter of minutes, it was gone. I don't know where it went. smh

God bless.

RB
<><