Skip to main content

Possibilities

After reading a post on another blog, I remembered taking a dutch oven cooking class with my oldest daughter and best friend from high school.  That was April of 2011.  I haven't really done anything that exciting since then either.



Although I do have many cookbooks, I have not broadened my "horizons" so to speak, as to investing in the equipment to dutch oven cook at campgrounds.  



In September of 2011 we participated in a chili cook off, and cooked our chili in cast iron, and over the campfire.  Not one person there did.  We lacked "fire" in our chili, so we did not win, but we had a lot of fun.


The same weekend the entire campground had a "scarecrow" contest.  We won that!  We had to use what we had on hand.  We stuffed her with tall grass.






So, I took a stroll down memory lane, and asked myself, "why have I not done anything crazy, out-of-the-box, exciting, or just plain spontaneous?"  With Hubby or with the kids?  Or just by myself?


Life can do that to us.  We get caught up with school activities, work schedules, getting sick, unexpected breakdowns and repairs, interruptions, massive list of to-do's and so forth. 

I feel like are summer went way too fast this year.  


Something new?  Every year I try something new, make something new, or learn something new.  So what's on the new list?   Hmm.  Not quite sure, but I need to work on filling up my possibilities book with some ideas.

Sharing something a dear friend emailed me:

Quote: "Today may there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us."

Comments

Mama Pea said…
A lovely, thought-provoking post! I'll be mulling it over in my mind while hubby and I tackle the cleaning, sorting and reorganization of our main storage building!
Susan said…
A very thought-provoking post. And so true for most of us. It is so easy to get caught up in the daily grind. I have spinning on my 'learn something new list' this winter. I hope I can carve out the time.
Sam I Am...... said…
I love that quote! I copied it to send to my children and to post to remind myself.
I love your graphic journals. I started one years ago. I should do that again.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart