Skip to main content

Sunshine


Sparta and the ladies enjoyed a long day outdoors yesterday.  The sun was shining and it was just perfectly cozy.  No dreary skies or fall cold drizzle.  

I spent the morning cleaning, putting laundry out on the line and so forth.  I also spent time putting chili in the crock pot and cooking up some elderberry elixir.  The house smelled pretty good.


The wood stove is cleaned and shining for another heating season.  This time, the chimney service sent two men, and got it done faster.  And, this time they cleaned the glass on the door - spotless.  



Five Minutes for Me ~  Leftover homemade Mac'n'cheese on the front porch.  I was surprised that Timmy didn't join me.  He can smell food a mile away.  Sassy usually comes out to join too.  That cat will eat anything.


I finished this hot pad recently.  It's perfect for taking hot dishes to the porch.  It's not really good for getting things out of the oven.  I found that my #5 is 100% acrylic (Bernat Handicrater #5 crochet thread) and the #3 (Red Heart) is 100% cotton.  Due to the fact acrylic can catch on fire (or melt) makes cotton thread more suitable for a pot holder.  The #5 however, makes a wonderful dishcloth (if you have acrylic thread).  DMC makes a cotton #5, but it's difficult to find in stores here.  

 I do like they way it turned out, and have already started a second one. The pattern (linked) is online.


Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your new hot pad reminds me of a beautiful spider web!

We've got heavy fog here this morning . . . even a dense fog advisory for road travel.

Speaking of doing handwork, my quilt room is such a mess right now I can't believe it. Three or four (maybe seven or eight!) projects in the works and nothing put away makes for a real muddle. I want so to get in there and do a good cleaning and sorting, but more urgent tasks keep me from doing it.

Will it be winter soon?
Mama Pea you sound like me. All my projects are strewn about in my bedroom (of all places). I finished one more today and it's going home with Mom. One more done. Yay!
Sam I Am...... said…
I too am in the same boat as you and Mama Pea. What a mess! Why is it when I clean one thing I end up with a bigger mess than when I started? Interruptions? run out of time? energy? ADHD? Or all of the above? LOL!
I love your hot pad...very pretty and I like that design.
It was beautiful here today and I finally took of with the dogs for a hike and so glad I did. Enjoy your weekend!
Our chickens have been enjoying the sunshine and the grasshoppers! We've recently had some healthy rain and the grass has 'greened up' nicely-- but that means mowing again. Honey did some of that today and the chickens loved it!
They were out in the grass late after the mowing was done-- collecting the spoils!
I'm needing to finish up my wash cloths for charity... you pot holder reminds me of this. So much else going on, you know? I'll get done what I can!
Michelle said…
If you would like to use them for potholder they need a heat liner. I don't remember the name but most fabric and quilt stores carry it. Just tell them what you need it for and they can point you in the right direction. I have several I made years ago and still use today.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart