Skip to main content

I Roasted the "Mother Load" ~ Jarrahdale Blue Pumpkin

 Remember that, almost 14 pound jarrahdale pumpkin we grew and harvested?  



Well, I finally roasted it, pureed it, and froze it all.  By the way it tastes great, the color is amazing, and the end result was a fantastic amount of pumpkin for one pumpkin.





Did you know, that if you have a proper way to store these jarrahdale pumpkins, they can stay in the "pumpkin" form for up to 12 months?  I do like that aspect of it, but they are a bit of a challenge to slice.  If you can cut butternut and spaghetti squash, you can cut up one of these.

Ideally, we wanted to roast part of it for a dinner, but time was against me, and I still wasn't feeling great.  In fact, I was ready for PJ's, my bed, hallmark and some crochet by the time I was done freezing the pumpkin puree.

I Roasted the "Mother Load" ~ Jarrahdale Blue Pumpkin © December 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Faith said…
14 lb? WOW! I would imagine that took a minute to cut. I love pumpkins, we didn't get any to keep this year, the squirrel got to the one which did grow...we'll try again next year.
What a beauty of a pumpkin! I can still cut open a spaghetti squash They are one of my favorites!
Betsy said…
That is a great idea and sounds delicious. I hope you're feeling a bit better now. I'm still dealing with half a voice which frustrates me greatly at church where the beautful Christmas carols are being sung.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Faith, it was the first year to grow them, and we got one pumpkin. Our drought year was a challenge, but thankful for this one.
Thanks Far Side of Fifty. We love spaghetti squash too.
Betsy, I had larangytis one year for weeks on end. I went on Amazon and bought homepathic meds. It drove me crazy. I sure hope you get your voice back soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart