Skip to main content

Tidbits ~ Homemade "Vicks Vapo-Rub" (Mixed Oils)

It's a brisk -2°F windchill this morning (15°F).  The weatherman warned us.  Maybe it will kill off some germs.

I blame it on the weather, but my sinuses are a hot mess.  The pressure is so uncomfortable.  I am breaking out my herbal teas, my lavender eye pack (for headache relief) and ordered myself a headache ice pack wrap now.


I made homemade "Vicks Vapo-Rub" and this time around, I doubled the recipe, but used a combination of coconut oil and olive oil.  It came out to the perfect thickness, and made about 4 ounces.  

Note:  Allow it to completely cool.  Make sure the jars do not have a cardboard insert in the lid.  If you put the lids on too soon, you will have condensation on the inside of the lid which will cause your rub to go bad faster.  

The link will take you to the recipe, but as you know coconut oil becomes very solid when it's cold.  I have not tried making it with simply 1/8 cup coconut oil and 1/8th cup olive oil, but it should turn out the same (roughly 2 ounces).  I like that it's not rock hard, and will make it this way from now on.


I have not had any issues for years, and all the sudden wham!  I drank goldenrod tea I dehydrated this last fall, and it does help.  The second cup I drank, was infused with freshly grated ginger.

Tidbits ~ Homemade "Vicks Vapo-Rub" (Mixed Oils) © December 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Betsy said…
I'm sorry you're still sick. Please don't let it go too long. I did at Thanksgiving time. I thought it was just a sinus headache but it was an infection and I went so long that without graphic details, I almost needed IV antibiotics. I'm still on medication and am slowly getting bettter. Never had this before but it definitely isn't fun.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Leigh said…
Oh gosh. Sinus congestion is really painful. The homemade vapo-rub sounds perfect! Definitely something I'm going to make. I hope you get some relief soon. It's never fun to be sick, but around the holidays is a downright nuisance.
Hope you feel better soon. Interesting about the Vapor Rub:)
Betsy, I am so sorry to hear that about you. I will be watching my symptoms.
Leigh you are right about it being a nuisance for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart