Skip to main content

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls



Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Yield:  12



You don't even need a mixer for this dough!



Step 1: 




1/4 warm water with 2 1/4 tsp. yeast (or one packet) - allow to dissolve for 5 minutes.

In a large bowl add:

1 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar

Stir.

Then add dissolved water and yeast
1 organic egg, beaten

Using a wooden spoon add 2 cups of organic all purpose flour.  Stir for at least 100 strokes with the wooden spoon.

 Cover bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and allow to sit for 15 minutes.



It will look like this after 15 minutes.




Step 2: 



Add:
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Then add:
4 Tbsp. organic butter, softened

Add:
1 3/4-2 cups more flour, adding it about 1/2 cup at a time.  Stir well each time you add flour.


Flour your hands and knead the dough right in the bowl when you can't stir it any long (2-3 minutes).


Step 3:

Place the dough on a floured surface (pastry cloth or counter), and knead for about 7 minutes.

Step 4:  Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl turning to coat each side and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm area for about 1 hour (or until it doubles in size).

I use my dehydrator, since it's large enough.  I just place a pan in the bottom with water to keep the dough from drying out, and moisten a flour sack towel to cover it in the dehydrator.  Most dehydrators have "rising bread" selection.


Step 4:


Once dough has risen, remove from pan, and punch down.  Knead dough for about 1 minute on lightly floured surface, then cover with plastic wrap and let "rest" for 15 minutes.



Step 5:  

While dough is resting, mix these ingredients together in a bowl:

3/4 c. organic brown sugar, packed
3/4 c. organic pecans chopped
2 tsp. organic cinnamon
4 Tbsp. of softened organic butter

Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan.



Step 6:


On a floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 12 x 16 inch rectangle.  Dough should not spring back.  If it does, let it rest longer.

  Place mixture from Step 5 onto the dough evenly, leaving 1 inch at the top and 1 inch at the bottom free.  Starting at the bottom, and moistening the 1 inch areas with water, roll the dough slightly tight (not loosely).


Using a knife score the dough to cut 12 rolls.  Place rolls in prepared pan, buttering the edges of each one lightly to keep them from sticking together in the pan.


Cover again (plastic wrap or use your dehydrator with a damp cloth over it) and allow to rise for 35-45 minutes.  Or when they have doubled in size.

Note:  I place a piece of parchment paper over the pan before covering with the moistened towel in my dehydrator

.

Step 7:
Heat oven to 350°F.  Remove plastic wrap from your pan and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes.



At this point, after baking them, you can do what you want really.  I leave them to cool in the pan, frost later and take out to eat whenever.  

You can also remove them from the pan and place on a cooling rack, and drizzle the frosting so the sides get some too.


Icing
Mix together in a bowl
1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. organic milk (or light cream)
2 Tbsp. of melted organic butter
A few drops of homemade vanilla extract


Note:  You can also use organic walnuts vs. pecans.



Comments

Faith said…
I've got a cup of coffee, I'll be right over. These look good. I like making these, but get the urge when it's cooler. I made blueberry muffins yesterday. We have a dehydrator, I didn't know it has a rising bread selection. Have a good weekend. Hoping to get to the market and get some fresh peaches for pie.
Yes, Faith, it depends on the make of your dehydrator. Mine has slide out trays I can remove to rise dough, and it's great.
Leanna said…
If you want the cinnamon rolls to be better, use warm milk instead of water. For the cinnamon part, smear half a stick of softened butter on the spread-out dough then spread out the cinnamon mixture over it. For the topping use one cake of cream cheese mixed with the 10x sugar. So much richer and tastier. I got the recipe watching a baker while he made cinnamon rolls at the bakery in town. Awesome rolls.
Rain said…
Wonderful! I'm bookmarking this recipe, thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart