Skip to main content

Tidbits ~ Work Starts

 


Homemade detangler was restocked.  Pretty easy to make, starting with a tea made from marshmallow root.  I think I've been using it for about a year now.


Current crochet blanket.  I wanted to use the granny square stripes to use up this yarn, but you can see that the color varies from skein to skein.  Oh well.  I have one more skein, so I hope it creates the right size.  It is a bit larger than my usual lap afghan.  It's been a slow project with other work around here.

Our handy-man showed up.  Work has begun on the room.  Carpet is ripped out (wooden subfloor treated), storage area drywall replaced, and mudded, ceiling light removed and cleaned, and ceiling has a new coat of paint.  Much more to do, but making progress.

In the meantime, I started to purge my books (many of these are non-fiction), and filled 2 1/2 boxes so far.  I found a file folder container that had about 25 plastic document envelopes (with business card slot).  Those went into the donation box as well. I have no idea why we had them.

At about mid-afternoon, I started to get pretty bad sinus pressure. I have not had any sinus issues in years now.  I downed four thieves, took a nap (very unusual for me), and made a plan for today.  There will be some herbal tea brewing going on.  One of our daughter's had a really bad sinus headache last weekend, so I am wondering if it's the seasonal air change or the air itself.

I let my chickens out into their open run mid-morning, and went to take a look-see about 1pm.  Sure enough hawk droppings all around the fence, and my ladies were huddled inside behind their feeder.  Sigh.  The new run is on the to-do list.  Weather has been a big issue.

In the midst of purging, I found another journal.  Imagine that!!  Ha ha ha!  My canning journal.  Now that it's just the two of us, I do not track what we have in stock.  I just go look, as I prepare meal plans.  Chalk that up for more grocery list/to-do list scrap paper.

I'm down to purging some manuscript log books (copies of anything I published in the past years), but this is only happening due to the room being repaired and renovated.  Otherwise, I don't think I'd be sparked to even look at this stuff.  Add to the fact, who wants to leave the house, and leave the handy-man here alone (gotta keep an eye on things).

It's a brisk 25°F this morning, so I don't expect my handy-man too early.  My husband forgot to bring home some grocery items, so I'm going to make some changes with dinner, but that's okay too.

Typically, I have a friend make a grave blanket for me to put on my parents graves, but it didn't happen.  I am not even sure I can get any there before Christmas as this pace.


Comments

Betsy said…
I think your blanket is beautiful. That's the beauty of varigated yarn. It doesn't have to match exactly. :-) We have a "feels like" temperatures of -4F right now so I'm not planning to be outside anymore than I have to. I'm still recovering from this sinus thing that I have going on and I don't want to be down again.
Blessings,
Betsy
Betsy, I am now having sinus issues and I feel miserable. I have not had this issue for years. Thank you on the blanket. I hope you feel better soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart