Skip to main content

Bread Baking Day

Woke up to a chilly 14°F morning here today.  Yeterday  I finally had a day to bake the skillet bread (bread baked in a cast iron pan).  It's the next best thing to baking soft rolls, but in a one skillet version.  By the way, this bread, cubed up works great for a breakfast souffle too.





It doesn't look as nice, as I used a serrated knife, thinking it would make it look better on top.  Anyway, just run a straight knife to make the lines for baking.

Here is how I bake my bread in a cast iron pan (also called skillet bread).

(Skillet Bread recipe from I Heart Eating, with adapted organic ingredients and adjusted instructions).



I do use a thermometer to check the temperature of my measured water.
1 1/2 cups warm water ( 110-115°F)
2 1/4 tsp. yeast, active dry
2 Tbsp. honey, organic
Stir and let sit.

While water, honey and yeast sit and do their thing (let sit about 10 minutes), I measure the flour, olive oil and salt for the mixer.
2 1/2 cups organic bread flour
2 Tbsp. organic olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt

When the yeast/water/honey mixture is ready, add it to the mixture in your mixer.

Gradually, mix in another 1 cup of flour, move your dough to a bread cloth our floured surface to knead for 5 minutes.


Recipe calls for 3 1/2 - 4 cups of the flour.  I use 3 1/2 in the mixer, and save the last 1/2 cup for kneading on my bread cloth.  Less flour makes a lighter, fluffier, softer bread in the end.

It was 7 °F outside, so I used my dehydrator to help the bread rise (has a bread raising temperature, as most larger dehydrators do, and some ovens now-a-days).  Let it rise for 30 minutes.

I cover my bowl with a damp cloth (vs. saran wrap).  It helps the dough from drying out while in the dehydrator.

Remove and made a nice ball of dough, placing in the center of a oiled cast iron pan.


The original recipe states to let the dough "rest" next, but the dough will not rise.  I put the dough in my oiled cast iron pan, and put it back in the dehydrator for another rise.  It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.  Keep an eye on it.  After 2nd rise - using my 10 inch cast iron pan.  Also, to do this, I lightly oil a piece of parchment and place that over the dough ball, then cover it all with the damp towel.  The parchment keeps anything from sticking to dough, as it rises for the 2nd time.



Using a sharp knife make two lines in one direction, and one straight down both of the previous ones. It produces a beautiful, and delicous loaf of bread.  It tastes like soft homemade baked rolls.

Bake the bread in a preheated oven at 400°F, for 20 minutes.  you may need to adjust baking time, but less than 20 minutes was not long enough in my oven.  You want the top to be browned.

Using a piece of waxed paper (or saved butter wrapper), rub butter over the crust as soon as you remove it from the oven.  It will ensure your crust to be soft when it cools completely.


It pops right out of pan when it is cooled.  Good luck getting folks in the house to wait lol!  Enjoy!


                          

A photo of the same bread I baked back in 2021.  Gosh it's been that long ago.

I am going to freeze a few pieces this time around, and see how well it stands up after thawing.  Happy bread baking!

Bread Baking Day  © December 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
That looks amazing. I can almost smell it! I absolutely love homemade bread and I'm an absolute failure at making it. I've never been successful and have no idea why.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
THank you for sharing this recipe. It's cold here and the perfect day for baking.
I tried that once in my Dutch Oven and nearly smoked us out of the house! Obviously you are a better baker than me!
Betsy, if your oven has a dehydrator option, it may go low enough in temperture to help dough rise. I have always found my dehydraytor the best way to help the dough rise, or like you would not be able to bake the bread successfully.
Anne in the kitchen, it was very cold here, and still is. You are welcome.
Far Side of Fifty, I wonder why it smoked while baking? I do not cover this bread when it's baking in the oven.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart