Skip to main content

We Skipped Thanksgiving

 

Instead of the traditional frenzy and hustle of baking, cooking and washing a ton of dirty dishes (and house cleaning), we took off this past holiday, and enjoyed it on a larger scale of relaxation.

Our adult kids do not cook.  They rely (and expect me) to do all of the cleaning, hosting, cooking and baking.  One year one kiddo brought the ham, and one brought a fruit dip.  My fruits of my labor walk out the door at the end of the traditional big meal as well (pratically zero leftovers for us).  I get tired of the lack of help, and needed a break.  Cooking/baking from scratch is work, and does have it's limits.

Thankfully, my husband was on board with me, and we instead, relaxed in the midst of a cabin in the high wooded hills.  The best part?  A hot tub.  The snow arrived, and it was  a cozy retreat.

We have discovered new places to hike, and new adventures with nature in the future.  We did not miss the traditional holiday feasting one iota.  All of the kids had their own meals with other family, so they did not lack a large meal.

Reality is back in full swing on the homestead.   Coffee is brewing.  The sun is rising, and we are looking at finishing another home project, with another one moving up on the list.

The Christmas tree has yet to be put up, but it's on the list in the next week or so. Although our retreat put us behind on the chicken run build, the weather here was way too cold anyway.

Two solar chargeable light bulbs have arrived, and I will be testing them to make sure they work.  If these work out (for the new coop), we may invest in a few for power outage use as well.

December is here already, and it brings new adventures.  

We Skipped Thanksgiving  © December 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Leigh said…
I think that was an excellent idea. I recall my mother-in-law telling me about her years as a single parent, and how she sat her four little ones down to explain that everyone needed to chip in and help out with chores. They just looked at her for a few moments, and then one said, "But Mom, you like to do all the work."

I was thankful when we switched the holiday meals to my son and daughter-in-laws. I just have to bring rolls and the vegetable, and they take care of the rest. Really nice as I get older and run out of youthful energy. :)
Good for you! Sounds like the best Thanksgiving ever! It is a lot of work. I cooked this year and even with being very organized, with my “to-do” list, both my husband and I were beat!
Leigh, our youngest was upset, and so I asked her "if we did host the meal, would you make a dish to bring?" She said no. I told her that is the answer to our decision and we don't regret it.
Debby, yep! Not to mention all those dirty dishes. Ugh. So glad we went.
I was exhausted for three days and I had my daughter to help...getting too old for cooking and hosting a group..
Far Side of Fifty, I am to the point, if they can't learn to help, it won't happen (at least at my house). Last year we did a Mexican theme meal and one complained, so this year I put my foot down, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart