Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ German Potato Salad

My ladies have been slacking in the egg production department lately.  Considering the amount of feathers out in the run, I'm guessing they are molting.


The weather is now cooling down at night, but the forecast for the end of the week is in the upper 80's again.  


 I'm so glad I got my garlic planted this past weekend.  One more thing off my list.




Wood splitting has resumed.  Thank goodness.  



I was getting worried.  Although the dead trees are still standing (patience is a difficult thing). We need about six more good Saturdays to finish it up.


It wasn't fun, but it had to be done - all the rotten potatoes from over 100 plants are dug up.  What you see in the buckets came from about 9 or 10 plants.  I'm still dreaming of my future root cellar on a good garden year (....patience). 



 I think it's time to bake up a pan of German Potato Salad with Honey. 


 
Just after I locked up my chickens one night, this hawk came in with a  low swoop over the chicken run, then perched in front of the house.  It also flew into the big barn.  We've seen vultures fly in that barn too.....barn has to go, and soon (patience).


I finally joined a blog hop at Clearwater Farm Journal. 




I made some delicious homemade pumpkin muffins using my home canned applesauce (no oil).  Yum. Perfect for this time of year.





I dead-headed the other day, and kept more zinnia seeds.  I ended up cutting some that were not dead yet, and as you see the birds are helping themselves.  I cut some of my largest ones before the seeds were all gone.  The biggest blooms are about 4 inches wide.  




Comments

Mama Pea said…
'Tis the time of year when no matter how fast we move, there's never enough time to get done what we want to get done!

We've had our usual fall migration of hawks overhead start and the chickens have had to run for cover more than once. So far, hawks haven't scored a chicken dinner.

I was thinking of making potato salad, too. We haven't dug our potatoes yet because they're better off in the ground until our root cellar drops more in temp. But no reason I can't go out and "steal" some for eating right now!
Mama Pea, you are right. I always feel we are a bit behind, but somehow get caught up. Sunday, Hubby was to replace my back brakes in my car, but ended up getting called into work the entire day.
Sam I Am...... said…
You've motivated me so much I haven't been on my pc as much...now I have to catch up with you! German potato salad....yum! It's cooled off here too but heating up again also not in the 90's though, thank goodness!
Michelle said…
I have a list of things that still need to get done before winter. I swear it's growing on it's own.
Sam I am, I think the forecast said 84°F this Friday, but it could change.
Michelle, I feel like once we get something crossed off, two more jump on the list, ha ha!
Stephen said…
Wood splitting? I'd be happy to help: I've definitely swung the axe a few times over the years!
Stephen, wood splitting is on our to-do list year round, but it's getting the time and right weather to do it that's tough.
RB said…
We have many hawks and such here too. So we put fencing over the top of the chicken run as well as around the sides to keep the chickens safe. The top is also covered with tarp, so the girls can be out scratching in the rain if they want to. To keep rain from pooling on top of the tarp, we put a 1' frame on top of the chicken house to make a peak in the center of the tarp so the rain runs right off at the sides.
The German Potato Salad and muffins look good. It's getting close to good old comfort Dutch Oven cooking again. How I miss it during hot summer months! But it makes no sense to run the air conditioning AND the oven at the same time. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, thanks for the tips on the coop. So far, Rooster has been telling the ladies when to run for cover. They have trees to hide under and when they are in their run, they can run right back into the coop.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart