Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Tuesday Tidbits

Rest in peace Sparta.  You will forever be missed.  Sad day on the homestead. He broke a leg years ago, and last summer had trouble getting up and down the ramp, so we even had plans to build a longer one with more ease for him.  I also found him cuddled up under the heat lamp (which is over the water), and often found him there during cold, cold days.  I'm sure gonna miss him.

School ended up closing yesterday.  Roads were pretty slick.  Today they are delayed, but may cancel again.  We have freezing rain (again).






I spent most of the day in the kitchen.  I decided on a ham/swiss chard egg scramble for the next few days.  That left me with two eggs to spare.  I also baked the birthday cake, and cooked millet for another recipe.  Then dinner prep started.  I was tired by 1pm, after being up at 4:30am.





I taught Youngest Daughter how to decorate a cake, and she looked like she really enjoyed it.  She did her own design too.


We may be starting the garage clean up a bit early.  All vehicles now need repairs and we'll need the garage to do it.  Lovely.

Hubby's workplace promised bonuses this spring, but last week reneged on the promise.  Hubby is pretty upset, as we had plans to put it to use.  Pretty low of them to do this, considering he was out fixing things at -40 some degrees a week ago.

Next time I cook meatballs for dinner, we are going to try topping them with homemade condensed mushroom soup.  I was out of it yesterday, so it's on the to-do list now.

Shipping prices have gone up.  My cost to shift crafted items will also go up a bit.  Just FYI.


Tip:  I purchased these plastic shallow baskets 2 for $1.00.  I put them under the sinks to hold items, so next time I clean, it will be much easier taking it out and putting it back.


12 comments:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

I love meatballs..or Polpetti as we call them....
They can be cooked in ALL sorts of ways...
You can brown the uncooked meatballs in a sauté pan
before adding them to a sauce. You can brown them
in the oven. Or you can skip browning altogether and
put the raw meatballs straight into the sauce to cook,
being raw of course they can absorb more of the flavour
and juices from the sauce or soup..! Yum! :).

Sad to hear about Sparta..Bless!x

Carol said...

I just got baby chicks and now one has a broken leg. I really don't know what to do with it, but vet said it will heal.

Mother Em said...

So sorry to hear about Sparta. When I was a young girl, I had a deformed little chicken that walked on it's elbows, I guess you could them elbows! We called her Little Mary. She got around pretty good but eventually drowned in the tub of water we had for the other chickens. Most our peeps' lives ended with the approach of winter in Northern New York, alas. Remember pulling feathers, p-eww. Have a great day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Willie

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, we put a splint on him using a popcisle stick and sports tape, and kept him separate until it healed (when we saw he was walking again).

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Mother Em.

mamasmercantile said...

So sorry to hear about Sparta. Great tip about the plastic containers, saves a lot of work.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I miss having chickens!!! When the last one was left half dead in the garden by a chicken hawk I swore my days of chickens were over....but I do miss them. Sorry you lost one, that's always hard.

Susan said...

It's particularly sad when you realize how few nice roosters there are. I know you took excellent care of him, Kristina. Winter is so hard on our livestock. That is outrageous, to promise bonuses and then go back on your word! Especially given the drastic weather your hubby has worked in - and all the over time he puts in. Let's hope spring come early - I'm fed up with this winter already!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Debbie

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Susan, I am so ready for this winter to be over too.