Skip to main content

Homestead and Handiwork Happenings

We started December with some chilly weather - low -4 (windchill) 6°F/High 27°F.  The coldest weather for early December since 1976.  According to weather authorities.  We've been as low as -8°F this month.  Now we are melting away into the 50's by tomorrow with a lot of rain.  Crazy, crazy winter weather for sure.

Surgery went well.  Thank you all for your prayers, good vibes, positive mojo and good thoughts.  I am in recovery mode, which oddly feels very strange for someone who is on the go most days.  

One kiddo visited to help out, and stayed the night, and I really appreciated the help. She did some driving for us, cooked and even cleaned.  Very thankful for her help.

Not to worry.  I am listening to my doctor/nurses.  I'm not able to exercise like I typically do daily, but my brain is getting a super dose of "brain" activities.




On top of a new puzzle, and a 132 new word search book (my first), crochet also continues.  I have one crochet item to share soon, but waiting on Amazon to deliver the final item to finish it.   I am also revisiting my long lost interest in writing.  There may be a submitted entry (small, but a start) in the near future.  I think my husband is more excited about this venture being revisited, but I am too.


I had purchased glass jars with wooden spoons, for easy access for my evening tea, and I'm so glad I did.  You have no idea how much you "lift" in a day, until you are told to not lift certain things.

The yarn order I sent out a few weeks ago, for another last minute hand crocheted gift, is on back order.  Seems fitting right now, ha ha!

As for some good news, one of our girls has learned to bake bread, and baked bread for the very first time (yeast rise bread).  One has learned to cook one of the family holiday dishes, and I am beyond proud of them.  Kids today, do not cook, nor are they interested in getting back to the basics in the kitchen, and we are so thrilled they are learning.

My rosemary and chive plants are still alive, but the rosemary looks iffy.  I am doing my best to win this battle to keep it alive all winter.  Lemon balm continues to sprout, but it does much better outdoors in the summer.  I had to replant a few seeds.

Homestead and Handiwork Happenings  ©  December 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart



Comments

Carol said…
After having surgery this year as well, I completely understand how you must feel. I have been 8 week non-weight bearing more than I care to admit. Just relax and the time will pass, but it is hard.
I'm thrilled surgery went well and you're in the recovery mode. Rest, and do what you're supposed to and you'll be out and about in no time. God bless.
Carol, thank you for the advice. Sorry to hear you are under lifting restrictions too. Yes, I am following doctors orders and moving forward. And yes, it is hard to "sit" or do much less than usual, so I am working on finding a routine that works.
Debby, thank you. I am definitely listening to doctors orders, and reading my "what I can do" and "can't do" daily to make sure I stay on the course. Blessings to you too.
Rest, even if you don't want to. I am glad you are following the doctor's orders.
Anne in the kitchen, thanks. It is very difficult to not push myself like I used to. Goodness, but yes, following orders to get a green light pass in several weeks.
Good to hear you are in recovery mode. Take it easy! Have fun with the quiet activities!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart