Skip to main content

Spice things up


 I'm working on keeping the monotonous, un-monotonous.  More so leaning on keeping the variety of these winter days interesting and not boring.  Although one who is constantly "busy" would find forced rest time a blessing.  Or not, ha ha!

I am doing well.  I'm not back to reading very much at all, but the "mind" games are a bit refreshing.  Spikes are back on my boots, although we are told Christmas will be in the 50's and rain here this year.  I'm getting a walk in to the mailbox once in a while.  If there is sunshine, it's a win-win.

I've been relying on the health benefits of herbal teas, and have been rotating them for restorative benefits.  Teas are always are soothing addition to the winter days.


I've discovered that we love a peppermint anything hot in the winter once in a while.  Sort of a treat in the day so to speak.  


Homemade peppermint mocha creamer for your coffee!  Yum!  Of course the heavy cream is not fat free, but we plan to try it with half and half (would use goat's milk if we had it, along with the cream that floats to the top).  It lasts for a week in the fridge and it is delicious.


Heat in a saucepan:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

2 Tbsp. Cocoa 

2 Tbsp. maple syrup

Whip or stir until all ingredients are combined.  Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. homemade vanilla extract and 1 tsp. peppermint extract.  Immersion blender works great for this.

We used all organic ingredients.  I attempted to make my own peppermint extract one year, but it did not have a strong flavor.  If you have tips on making it, please comment below. 

Stir, cool, and store the homemade creamer in the refrigerator up to a week.  


Garden seed catalogs are starting to roll in, and of course I'm taking a look-see.   We definitely will not be planting any squash next garden season, but that will free up space and eliminate those nasty squash bugs for a year.  

I ordered some library books via the inter-loan system.  The books are non-fiction, and will give me a bit of a change with learning something new.  Thankfully, my husband can pick them up for me.


All things "kitchen" are in disarray, but my husband (bless his heart) is doing as much as he can around here.  The refrigerator is going to need a full clean out after this month, ha ha!  

Crockpot Hearty 3 bean soup.  We've had this soup 3 times now, and there are never any leftovers. It is meatless, but it is very good.  I do have home grown garlic for it, so that makes a wonderful flavor.  I have grown turnips and kohlrabi, but we have not grown parsnips yet.  Sprinkling those home grown herbs on the soup, always makes me smile.

Side note:  Oregano oil has been handy for medicinal reasons, but limited to specific ways to use it.  I will be making an oregano tincture next year.

Although I have been taking it easy, and moving slowly to full recovery, I have a few things I will be able to do (with some assistance).  I have printed (yikes!) about 3 new recipes, but for summer garden season too.  

Handiwork is very slow going.  I'll try and get one last "Christmas" post in soon.

Spice things up  ©  December 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart