Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Update on Thawing Shredded Zucchini in Waxed Paper ~ Thawing Pumpkin Puree in Freezer Bags

 Last summer, we had a plethora of zucchini in the garden.  

I came across a different way to freeze shredded zucchini.  Here are my thoughts on it....

The idea is to place a cup of shredded zucchini in the center of a piece of waxed paper, and twist both ends.  You then place as many as you can in a gallon freeze bag, label and store in the freezer.

The idea was to waste less zucchini.  For example, if you thaw it in a smaller freezer bag, it's harder to get all of it out of the bag (unless you turn it inside out).  The waxed paper freezer version works great, as it leave very little mess on the waxed paper.

The way you freeze shredded zucchini is entirely up to you, but there you have my results.  The only con I have with the waxed paper, is that it takes more freezer space to store.  The pro, is that it is less expensive, as you use less freezer bags.


I honestly can't remember why I froze the last of the pumpkin puree in freezer bags, but I did.  To empty the bag, I cut a corner and squeezed it all out.  However, the con for freezing it this way, is you do lose some of the puree, as it is hard to get all of it out of the bag.  I much prefer a container, although freezing it this way saves you a lot of space.

Update on Thawing Shredded Zucchini in Waxed Paper ~ Thawing Pumpkin Puree in Freezer Bags © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

6 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

The wax paper zucchini twists is a fabulous hack. Thanks for sharing it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the kitchen, you are welcome. You can even take it out of the waxed paper before completely thawed, put it in the fridge in a container to continue thawing too. It works great.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Interesting

Jackie said...

I freeze my pumpkin in freezer bags all the time. While the pumpkin is still frozen I cut the freezer bag off. It seems to thaw quicker that way as well.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, ha! I have no idea why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jo-Anne's Ramblings, it is interesting. I never thought to freeze my zucchini with waxed paper.