Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, May 31, 2024

Catnip Tincture ~ Yarrow Tincture ~ Homemade Bug Repellent

 You may get a laugh out of this discovery, but it's a reminder to get your recipes out before you do early prep work.  I started a catnip infused oil earlier in May, thinking it was what I needed for my homemade bug spray.  It was not.  

I then thought I used catnip oil for homemade tick repellent, and that was not it either.

Having said that, I started a catnip tincture.  Good grief.  I started making the bug spray way back around 2015.   It works to repel bug bites, but if it's very hot out, you do need to re-apply it during your time outdoors.





(photos from September of 2015, when I first made the bug repellent spray)

The link for the online recipe no longer works, but the original recipe was from Mountain Rose Herbs.  They have changed the recipe and the title over three times since then.  It was first called Bug-Away Spray, then a Skeeter spray, and again changed after that.  

I went searching for the link to share, but in the process, learned something new.


Did you know that yarrow can be used for a bug repellent?  I did not know this.  I read comments on another recipe regarding homemade bug spray, and one person said she has been making a strong tea to keep the bugs away.  I love that it uses a lot less ingredients.


I have yarrow growing in two pots, and it grows wild here too.  You can research this in your own herbal books or online (Learning Herbs has instructions).


My entire process of mistaking the need for catnip oil, for bug spray, taught me a new recipe (and with less ingredients).

I now have a catnip tincture, and a yarrow tincture being made.  I can add the catnip to the yarrow spray, and utilize it, so I am making both.


Treating Mosquito Bites

Having made my mistake, which taught me something new, I can now share what I use for treating mosquito bites - chickweed salve.  So far, it's the best thing for, not only healing the bite, but removes the itch.

I have yet to make my own chickweed salve, as I have some that I purchased (made local by Amish).  I do plan to make it, but not until I run out of my current supply.  

I put some in a smaller container for traveling and camping.

Catnip Tincture ~ Yarrow Tincture ~ Homemade Bug Repellent © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Interesting about the chickweed. I can always find so much of that growing in the ditches and grass along the back alley.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, the best time for me to harvest chickweed is the early spring.