Skip to main content

Dehydrating Onions ~ Onion Powder

 I took advantage of a few rainy days, and dehydrated onions. Yes, the windows were open for this yearly event.  I may dehydrate one more time this year, but it's a start to re-stock.  



I chop a few onions at a time, and toss into my food processor.  I pulse the onions until they are about evenly diced.  I have had this simple food processor for about 13 years now.  As you can see, there are few options.  I do plan to buy one with more options when this one stops working.  Also, you can use a hand chopper for a smaller batch as well.


I spread the diced onions onto parchment paper lined dehydrator trays, and dehydrate at the temperature recommened for my dehydrator.









Once dry, I use latex gloves to remove the onions from the parchment paper.  I then grind the dried onions in a specific coffee grinder, that is dedicated to grinding dried food items.



I dump out the current onion powder, wash the container and add the newer ground onions first, then the older.  Otherwise, I rotate two jars.  What ever works for you, but remember to use the older ground onion up first.

I made us some onion powder, but will need to dehydrate more onions for making minced onion for future meals.  It's a go-to staple in our house.  I do use a dehydrator, but now-a-days, the newests ovens have a dehydrator option, and smaller batches can be made in most air fryers.

I have stored our onion powder in the freezer for years, because dehydrated onions re-absorb moisture quickly.  I keep it in an airtight jar.  I often times, have to wipe the rim before putting it back, but otherwise, the moisture stays out of it.


Converstion charts are available online to decide how much of the powder or minced etc is equal to fresh onion. 

Example:  1 tsp. ground onion powder = 1/3 cup fresh chopped onion.

Dehydrating Onions ~ Onion Powder  © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Mother Em said…
Granddaughter sent me jars of dried dill and garlic, but the onion powder is clumped. I've added a few pieces of dry rice, but still have to "jack hammer" it with a knife to get some to shake. What do you recommend other than me buying some at the store, haha! Have a great day there in oHIo. Mary
Mother Em, that is why I store my jar in the freezer door. If I store the jar of the onion powder in my pantry, it will still (even in an airtight jar) absorb moisture and clump up. Try storing it in your freezer. I take the jar out just before needing it, and it is perfectly a powder with no clumping up. Hope that helps. The same with shallot powder too. Store it in the freezer.
Maybe I should get a dehydrator. I had one years ago and never used it. I think now I would.
Betsy said…
I may just have to get a dehydrator sometime. We have a friend who dehydrates lots of fruits in the summer for later use. I've never tried it though.
Blessings,
Betsy
Debby, I have used mine to even make yogurt in. It's large enough to pull the trays out and put the jars inside. I also rise bread dough in it.
Betsy, I have made fruit leather in it. I haven't dried too many fruits just yet, but plan to dehydrate more. I have dehydrated a lot of vegetables.
When I dehydrate onions I set the dehydrator on the screened porch. The upside is that my house does not smell like onions. The downside? The whole neighborhood smells like a pizza restaurant

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart