Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, May 18, 2024

Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning

 

We love a good seasoning on our steaks, but we love to use it on grilled burgers too.  My husband purchased the Grill Mates steak seasoning, per a suggestion of a co-worker, and we love it.  However. . .


Check out the ingredients in the Montreal Steak seasoning.  Onion in anything will clump up, so I'm guessing the sunflower oil is to keep the seasoning from caking.  Anyway, I went on a mission to make our own.

I found a recipe online, and it had so many reviews, I decided that would be the recipe to try.  I don't like to put links in my blog posts anymore, as they so often stop working, but if you google for "culinaryhill.com" and "Montreal Steak Seasoning" and "copy cat" recipe, you should be able to locate it online.  By the way, that site has more homemade seasoning recipes you may like too.


I followed her recipe exactly, but used homemade garlic powder, and homemade onion powder.  It says it makes 8 oz, but I stored mine in a recycled spice jar and put the extra in another spice jar.  The smaller one still has the shaker top, to make it easy to use on burgers, chicken, steak etc.

Tip:  I used my coffee grinder (used for these purposes), to grind up the larger ingredients like the red pepper flakes, kosher salt, peppercorns, and dill seed.  I then mixed everything together.

We'll be trying this on grilled burgers first, but will give an update after several taste testings.  

4 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

This sounds like something Tim would like

Jackie said...

Looking forward to the taste test. Making my own would actually save quite a bit of money in the long run.

God bless.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jo-Anne's Ramblings, I will post an update on our tastings soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jackie, not only less expensive, but much healthier too. Can't wait to try it on meals.