Skip to main content

Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning

 

We love a good seasoning on our steaks, but we love to use it on grilled burgers too.  My husband purchased the Grill Mates steak seasoning, per a suggestion of a co-worker, and we love it.  However. . .


Check out the ingredients in the Montreal Steak seasoning.  Onion in anything will clump up, so I'm guessing the sunflower oil is to keep the seasoning from caking.  Anyway, I went on a mission to make our own.

I found a recipe online, and it had so many reviews, I decided that would be the recipe to try.  I don't like to put links in my blog posts anymore, as they so often stop working, but if you google for "culinaryhill.com" and "Montreal Steak Seasoning" and "copy cat" recipe, you should be able to locate it online.  By the way, that site has more homemade seasoning recipes you may like too.


I followed her recipe exactly, but used homemade garlic powder, and homemade onion powder.  It says it makes 8 oz, but I stored mine in a recycled spice jar and put the extra in another spice jar.  The smaller one still has the shaker top, to make it easy to use on burgers, chicken, steak etc.

Tip:  I used my coffee grinder (used for these purposes), to grind up the larger ingredients like the red pepper flakes, kosher salt, peppercorns, and dill seed.  I then mixed everything together.

We'll be trying this on grilled burgers first, but will give an update after several taste testings.  

Comments

Betsy said…
We use a lot of Montreal Steak Seasoning so it will be good to hear how you like this. I even put it on pork chips and then air fry them.
Blessings,
Betsy
This sounds like something Tim would like
Jackie said…
Looking forward to the taste test. Making my own would actually save quite a bit of money in the long run.

God bless.
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, I will post an update on our tastings soon.
Jackie, not only less expensive, but much healthier too. Can't wait to try it on meals.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart