Skip to main content

Too Many Eggs?

 

I have not baked an angel food cake in a few years.  There were just not enough eggs.  However, with my foot fracture, the eggs multiplied here at the homestead.  I decided to bake us one, and it is delicous!  I also now have a recipe for a frosting for the future (family recipe).  We are enjoying this one as it is, but a drizzle of fruit or whipped cream will be nice too.

On a side note, I checked my blog, and I last baked one in 2022, and guess what?  It was raining, ha ha!  Well, it wasn't raining yesterday, but it is today.





I saved all of the yolks, as I was already making us a breakfast scramble, and added them to the scramble. You can save the yolks for pretty much anything.


I used another dozen eggs for the breakfast.

From the freezer - garden green bell pepper, diced ham from the last holiday, and I thawed some dandelion greens and added those too.

In the end, I tossed in some chives from the herb garden, and some tomatoes.




I saved the egg shells for the vegetable garden.  However, too many egg shells is not a good thing for your garden.

I have another 2 dozen eggs in the refrigerator, that I will boil soon.  I love having them on hand for snacking, a quick meal, egg salad, or adding them to other meals.  I'm shocked that so many new chicken owners do not know you can boil them. We keep the coop clean, and the roosts as well.  You just have to wait it out a week or two, so they are older, otherwise they will not peel when you do boil them.

We woke up to more rain, and I am not mad or sad about it.  It will give me a break from weeding the flower beds.  I am making progress, but at a slower pace this year.  It will be nice to give my back and knees a break.

If you got to the end of the post, I can share a little chicken story for you.  My husband has been working double shifts (3rd midnight and 1st shift back to back).  He finally got back to his regular work hours, but fell asleep early.  I went out to put the chickens in for the night, and found out that 3 had flown the coop!  Ugh.

I chased and chased.   Mind you, my foot is fractured.  Ha.  There was no way I was going to wake up my husband.  I finally got them all in, but was exhausted.  I went back out and rigged the run fence.   So far, so good.  Sigh.

Too Many Eggs? © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
The scramble ingredients look so fresh and delicious. I'm sorry about the chickens getting out and I'm sorry about you having to chase them with a broken foot. But...I'm sure those chickens were laughing at you. :-) When I was small and collecting eggs at my Aunt and Uncles and terrified of the pecking chickens, I was sure their noises were the chickens laughing at me. Ha!
I hope your day is a wonderful one.
Blessings,
Betsy
Your cake is gorgeous!!
I guess when you have chickens, they do get out. On the country road just outside our neighborhood, these same chickens get out all the time. I’m always concerned they’ll get hit by a car. The family usually have their children run after them.

The angelfood cake looks good. My dad’s favorite so mom baked one at least once a week. No frosting. I like angel food with strawberries. I’ve not ever made one from scratch due to all those eggs. I bet it was delicious.
Betsy, thank you. Yes, I felt like they were surely laughing at me.
Anne in the kitchen, thank you!
Debby, the chickens have rarely gotten out of the fence, but a deer trampled the fence last year, so I had to put a few tomato stakes in to hold it up until we move them. Crazy birds! Thanks, the cake is delicous. We too like it plain or with whipped cream/cinnamon, or with fresh fruit. We were lucky enough to have so many eggs, so Angel food cake was made. I typically don't get one made every year, and I have to have a plan for the yolks, so I don't waste those too.
The cake looks good, chasing chickens with a fractured foot doesn't sound like something I would want to do but then I don't have chickens so not a problem I will face
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, thanks. We don't get to enjoy a home baked angel food cake too often. It's about once a year or in this case not since 2022 I think.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart