Skip to main content

Welcome May! What's Growing?

 

We a getting more asparagus thankfully, but I need to (again) plant more this year.  We are also getting rhubarb from the garden.  Yum!  



The lilac bush is blooming, and it smells wonderful when I am outside.  You can even smell it clear on the front porch.   I"m so glad the pine tree did not ruin the bush.  It did some damage, but I think it's recovering.  It just doesn't have as many blooms, but boy it smells divine.


Herbs in the herb garden.  Just ignore the weeds for now.  I hope to be back to that job sooner than later.

Green Onions

Sage

Thyme

Oregano

Chives

Lemon balm

Peppermint

My bleeding heart is blooming.  Terrible photo.  It was very windy when I took the photo.


I have so many volunteer chives just about in every crack and nook around the herb garden this year.


Yarrow


What is this?  Wild garlic?  Wild onion?  They are growing up singular, and all over my flower beds this spring.  I can't even tell from smelling the bulb, and cutting a bulb to smell.  These are tall, but the bulb is small.


They do not look like green onions or chives, so I'm stumped.  



Meanwhile.....




The rosebed with hostas from h-e-double hockey sticks.  If I wanted to harvest clevers, this would be a great time for that ha ha ha!  I see a mullein plant in there too.  I see several days of weeding this one too.  I don't think I could pay someone to weed for me ha ha!

I have a few spring perennials coming up, but have not bloomed yet too.  It's not quite time to plant any annual flowers, herbs or plants/seeds in the vegetable garden just yet.  I am pretty sure we are not planting any peas, considering I can't get out there to put up my pea fence right now.

Welcome May!  What's Growing?  © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Wow your herbs are fantastic!
Jill at emeraldcottage, thank you. I have to buy plants and drop seeds yet for the basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary and a few other herbs. We are just waiting out the weather for that.
Katie C. said…
Wow, quite a few of your herbs came back. My oregano is growing great as usual and for the first time (tee hee), my thyme came back! I also have some mint in a pot of course. Last year was the first time I grew it. Do you repot it so you can pull out the dead bits?

Take care, Katie C.
Katie C, I am not repotting the mint this year, considering I'm hobbling around with a boot on right now. It looks like my spearmint is not coming back, so that will be replanted (if I can find a plant this spring). The green onions are doing fantastic, so I'm trying to use them with about every single meal right now.
I am filled with envy for the fresh from the garden asparagus. My mouth is watering just looking at the photo.
Sandi said…
"volunteer chives"

This made me smile because I guessed you meant free-range weeds, but then I got to thinking...is this a type of chive? 🤷🏼‍♀️
People who can grow such things are better then me, as I don't have the whatever it takes to grow stuff.
Jackie said…
My tulips are appearing, as well as my columbine. Much too cold here right now.

God bless.
Anne in the kitchen, we are go glad we planted asparagus. We are lucky too, however, a local produce stand grows it too now (if we need more).
Sandi, they must have been planted by the wind when our chives went to seed, and they are growing in places I will have to pull them from ha ha!
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, there are a few things we cannot grow here, due to the amount of lime stone in the ground, but most things do well.
Jackie, I want to plant more tulip bulbs this fall. We'll see if it happens or not.
Looks like wild onion to me. Weeds...I have a few of those:)
Far Side of Fifty, thanks. The birds planted them I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart