Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 30, 2024

. . . from the handiwork journal

Thanks to the rain, dreary skies, and much cooler weather here, I have managed to get some handiwork done.  In fact, last night we got down to 47°F, after a full day of thunderstorms and downpours.  Crazy cold nights for May, but not unheard of.

The sun is shining today, but it will take a few days for the gardens to dry out.  In fact, a portion of one of our vegetable gardens actually flooded.  We have taken note, and plan to fill it in more with soil (but that will have to wait, as the price to have a truck load delivered has more than doubled).




. . . crocheted 3 baby washcloths.  I need to sew in the ends and block them.


. . .crocheted a bookmark.  I have blocked it, but I am wondering if I should starch it or dip it in 50/50 Elmer's glue and water?  I have made many bookmarks in the past, but I have never once stiffened them.  I feel this one needs it.  I just think if it was completely stiff it would be an odd bookmark.  



I only made it for gifting, and the pattern was in the 3rd crochet mystery book by Betty Hechtman - "By Hook or by Crook"



. . .started a new lap afghan for an extended family member.  

  By the way, all of the yarn was in my stash, so I did not have to go purchase them, but I sure hope I have enough to finish this one.  I don't have a label for one of the skeins, but I am pretty sure I know what brand it is. Anyway, this one is looking good with just what colors I had on hand from other projects.



I have already been using an ergonomic "I" hook, but I now realize that it says 5.25mm, and my old Boye crochet hook, says 5.5mm (hard to see in the photo).  I looked up the "I" hooks online, and some are now made 5.25mm.  

I wish I had used the slightly larger "I" hook, but will make notes on my pattern.  Are they changing all measurments on crochet hooks now?  I think I ran into this issue before.  The blanket will end up 2 inches shorter in width with this ergonmonic hook vs. the orginal "I" hook.  I hope that is large enough for a lap afghan or wheel chair blanket.  Not sure on the length until I finish it.

I have another perdiciment.  

I have put together another color combination, using yarn I already have, for the next lap afghan.  However, I don't have enough of this yarn.  Apparantly, sometime in the last 16 years I bought this Bernat Super value yarn in Pale Antique Rose, for only $1.59 on clearance.  They do not make this color anymore, and nor do I want to buy more right now.  

I will have to spin my color wheel and see if I can whip up another color to go with it (along with 3 other colors I have picked out).

. . . from the handiwork journal  © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart



6 comments:

Betsy said...

I like all of your makes. I often use spray starch when finishing a doily or bookmarks. It stiffens them just a bit but still keeps them flexible. I'm making a wheelchair blanket in very similar colors as you're using. With the yarn you don't have much of, you could ask online if anyone any they wouldn't mind parting with. That's done often on Ravelry, for example.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I have never learnt to knit or crochet, just not something I could get the hang of.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like some nice projects to keep you busy! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Betsy, I will look into that. I actually also looked for spray starch at one store the other day, and could not find it. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jo-Anne's Ramblings, I'm still learning with knitting. To me it's more difficult.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Far Side of Fifty, thanks. It does keep me busy.