Skip to main content

This and That

 

Here is a photo of the other crochet tension ring.  It's hard to get a close up photo.  Each one is different.  There are actually YouTube videos online, and other videos, to view how to use them.  

The rain is back.  Again.  I have a few new recipes to try.  No surprise there.  I seem to collect them again, but it's not all me ha ha!  My husband keeps finding a few for me to make.  One is a wrapped date recipe, but I am out of medjool dates right now.

We seriously need to hire someone to get up on the roof.  We need a net or whatever they call it installed on the chimney of the woodstove.  We had another bird fall into the woodstove.  Just another job added to the to-do list around here.

I used up a few more bags of our garden green beans in the freezer.  I have many more to use, so that is a good thing.   I actually doubled the most recent green bean dinner, so we have some to freeze for go-to quick meals, which seem to be needed around here lately.



A photo of the other half of the dinner.  I typically make it in the cast iron skillet and then heat it in the skillet to serve.  It is delicous.  I'll have another post regarding the seasoning in the near future.  By the way, remember the green bell pepper powder I made last summer (thanks to a bumper crop)?  I used it in this recipe, and we were very happy with the overall flavor.  

This and That © May 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Mother Em said…
Those tension rings are beautiful, especially the peacock one. Beautiful enough to wear! Been trying to get our deck demolished and replaced going on three weeks now in between rain and only two young gentlemen doing the work. Hope it is completed before too long. Our poor kitty likes to sunbathe on the deck, as well as putting out some of my "wanting-to-get-outside" houseplants. Don't get me started on the big rubber tree in the basement that we usually "drag out" and put under the deck. It's probably 40+ years old and begging to get out to get fresh air and sunshine!!! Enough on that. Have a great week and, yeah, don't get me started on the endless weeding! Mary in GA
Betsy said…
There is nothing like homegrown green beans from the freezer. Your's looks delicious. I always wonder why store bought frozen beans can't be good. They have no taste at all.
Blessings,
Betsy
If I find an abundance of bell peppers I am going to try to make the pepper powder. Occasionally at the farmers market I can buy a box of peppers that are not pretty but still perfectly delicious for a song. I hope I find them along with misshapen tomatoes this summer.
Mother Em, it takes me 5 times longer to weed, because of the boot on my foot, so it feels like weeding forever this spring. I sure hope you get your deck finished soon.
Betsy, my kids always hated helping me clean the beans, but we do appreciate them for sure.
Anne in the kitchen, I am so glad we had a bumper crop, so I could make the bell pepper powder. I put a bunch of peppers in the freezer too. I hope to make more powder this year.
Debi said…
I've never heard of the tension rings for crocheting, but they sound like a good idea, especially since my crocheting usually turns out kind of wonky!
Debi, I have seen them for sale here and there, but never thought to buy one.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart