Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Lemon Facial Toner ~ Butterfly Pea Flower Tea? ~ Weeding



I am trying a new facial toner to use at bedtime.  It's made with real lemon juice.  In the past, I have made one with rose petals.  I do have yet one more new recipe to try, but it uses a flower I would have to buy.  I'm on the fence with trying it yet.


Question for tea drinkers?  Has anyone tried butterfly pea flower tea?  Any benefits of drinking it?  Good sources to purchase the dried flowers for tea making?  

Question for those who crochet - what's the best beginner crochet kit for someone who wants to learn?  I have all the supplies, but I thought a kit would be a great way to teach the basics and actually make something too.  I see Knit Picks has kits, but wondered if any of you had suggestions.  I have another person asking me to teach them.

Or....if you have a book suggestion, and then I can put together the yarn and hook for the person, that would be great too.  I learned from my Mom, so have no "how to crochet" beginner books here.


(One of many books)

I have a bunch of library books to look at yet.  I have just been putting it off, as I'm exhausted at the end of the day.  I flipped through a few of them, and that's about it. 


The song "with a little help from my friends" comes to mind on a daily basis here lately (ha ha!).

I was gifted these garden knee pads by one of the kids.  I've used them once already, and love them.

I am back to weeding, but have only had one full, good day of it.  The weather is whacky for us again.  It goes from storm weather, to rain, to cold and windy, and so forth.  I have purchased disposable covers to put over my medical boot to keep it clean and dry.  It works for now.

 I have not meant to turn my blog into a "recipe" blog, but with everything I do, taking 5 times the amount of time to get done, there hasn't been much to post about.  I don't think you'd enjoy me prattling on about how I managed to get myself to my dental cleaning, and survived the long walk to get in and out of the place.  It's always busy, and the parking lot is always full.  I was actually late, but they smiled as they saw me hobbledehoy into the office (see, I'm prattling on...).



Having said it takes me longer to get things done, I have had little time to read or to crochet, but I have added a few more rows to the current baby blanket. 


I have also finished another baby washcloth (using discontinued thin cotton yarn).  


8 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

Your crochet work is lovely. Do you make things for specific people or keep them to give as gifts. Either way-lucky recipients.

Irene said...

Butterfly pea seeds were sold at Rareseeds ( Baker creek). I have made the tea, its very plain to me. No flavor, pretty color and I dont know about health benifits,sorry

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the Kitchen, I used to sell my stuff at a Farmer's Market monthy all summer, along with homemade goat's milk soap, and jams. We quit doing that when we got rid of the dairy goats. Then I would do 2 or 3 craft shows at the holidays. Last year was the last, due to lack of support and sales, and so much work (and higher yarn prices). Now I am using yarn I have already, and donating items where needed, when I have the time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Irene, I did see they sold the seeds, but I need to also see what temperatures it requires and if it's worth it. I do see it grows in vines. I read somewhere it was best to drink at night for a better sleep.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Just dropped by to check things out and nothing comes to mind in way of a comment but I was here

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jo-Anne's Ramblings, thanks for dropping in to read my blog.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I would hake my own kit with a hook and cotton yarn and the instructions for a dish cloth using a single crochet. It would be a great practice piece:)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Far Side of Fifty, thanks. I am on the hunt for a beginner book for her too. I know I have hooks and yarn, but it's upstairs right now. I can't get up there until the doctor gives me the okay. Great idea for the dishcloth too. Goodness, I should give classes for people, if people keep asking me ha ha!