Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Garden Going In ~ Rain ~ Prayer Request

 

The garden is going in now, but it feels like slow motion.  So far, I am doing the planting by myself (thanks to my husband's once again eye rolling work hours).  I have gotten all the tomatoes in, but feel we should buy a cherry or grape tomato plant.  I put my tomato stakes in when I plant, as it keeps the animals out.  We don't have fencing for all the gardens this year.  Solar lights also keep the deer out of this garden.

I got all the hot peppers planted.  I'm not sure the habanero will make it, but I guess we'll see.  It never does great starting by seed, as it needs much more heat.

I had planned to get all the bell peppers in today, but the rain arrived last night, and it rained the entire night, leaving everything very wet.  It's a good thing for all that is planted, but will put me behind a bit on the rest of the garden.  We scaled back from 100 tomato plants to about 52 this year.  Next year we will scale back on the jalapenos.  

May is fickle around here.  It was 80°F yesterday and will be a cool 67°F today (but too wet to weed or plant).

Nothing exciting on the extreme clean front, other than I cleaned the air fryer.  First, we never would have had one.  The story is, that Mom had this one from Pampered Chef.  She said it was too big for her, so we bought a smaller one for her and exchanged.  We do not like this one.  We'll most likely look around for something else, but this one is too big.  It also, has trays and not the buckets.  The only nice thing, is that the door comes completely off to clean.

I will be drinking some nettle/ginger tea today.  My allergies apparently didn't like my full blown day outside yesterday.  Do you have a go-to for a natural medicinal remedy for allergies?  


Prayer request:

A co-worker of one of my brothers who is battling stage 4 cancer.  He went through 6 months of chemotherapy, and was doing great, and some tumors where completely gone.  However, he has suddenly gotten sick, and has a rapidly growing tumor on his liver.  Please pray for Jerry.


4 comments:

Faith said...

We are finally getting a gentle rain, after we put up the rain barrel, nothing for a couple of weeks. The garden will appreciate the rain, and things will thrive. Thank you for commenting on the crochet washcloth, I may do another in smaller scale. I'll use this one for a runner, or placemat. Pattern was easy. I have to finish putting in the plaid marks which go through the holes in each row.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, I wonder if the larger would also make a good wash cloth to clean vehicles with. We are selling our rain barrels. There is no overflow control in which way it runs out, and was running out the top down to the foundation (super rainy days). We don't have anywhere else to put them, other than off one of the barns, and that's too far from the house. I sold two yesterday. Selling the other two this weekend maybe.

Faith said...

We have a diverter in the gutter which diverts the overflow. We'll see how it works, it is near a drain. Hopefully that won't be a problem. Ours is a closed top kind. I wanted to ask you about how you sell your crochet items as far a payments. How do you collect payment. I don't want to use Etsy. Thanks

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, I have used paypal for a while now, but most sales are from actual craft shows with cash payment.