Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, May 19, 2023

Dehydrated Oregano

 

Tip:  I drop my hydrated oregano (and other herbs) off of the dehydrator tray, and onto a piece of waxed paper.  I gently take the dried leaves off the stems.


I hold each side of the waxed paper, and with a canning funnel in the top of a quart canning jar, slide the dried herbs into the jar.


I do not crush the dried herbs.  I wait until I am cooking and then crush what I need.  It helps them retain flavor longer.


Another tip:  Check those lids you get on anything you do buy.  I saved a lid from a jar of organic mayo we bought over winter, and it fits perfectly on my quart canning jar.


It's a task, but I wash and dry all the trays before dehydrating another food in the dehydrator.

Happy Harvesting!





2 comments:

Katie C. said...

I usually wait until June to harvest my oregano. I rinse it then bundle it up with rubber bands. I used to use binder clips on a triangular plastic hanger but have now switched to kitchen twine. I hang it from the shower rod in the guest bath because Sophie kitty likes to play with it. Molly cat could care less. I tend to make a mess when removing the leaves from the stem so I use a rimmed baking sheet. It still goes all over the dining room floor so out comes the vacuum. At least it smells good.

That’s a good tip about the jar lids.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie, before I had the dehydrator, I tied my oregano and hung them from an herb drying rack I built with old barn wood and curtain hooks.