Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Pity Party for One ~ A Little Baking to Break the Blues

 It's probably a good thing I didn't have anyone around me this holiday weekend.   I'm a depressing, oh' poor me, kind of person.  

The garden fence is not up, and I've lost 6 bell pepper plants, and all of my blazing hot peppers.  It's not our fault other than the fact work hours prevent the fence getting up.  I can't do it alone, and everyone else is having backyard barbeques, out on motorcycle rides for Bike Week, or camping.  It's not just me either.  My husband came home and said the same thing.  He's feeling very depressed. 

Also depressing is the weather pertaining to the garden.  It's dry.  I watered, but the ground is so dry it's cracking.  I'm glad we didn't plant any annual flowers right now.  I'd literally be watering daily for weeks.

I tried to perk myself up with some quiet reading on the front porch.  Nope.  Bees were attacking all over the place, and the bee removal has not come out, not even called or emailed as to when they are coming out.

On a happier note. . .



I managed to get some rhubarb macerating (for homemade rhubarb vodka), and I baked a rhubarb/strawberry crumble.  It was a new recipe, but it required you to use a food processor to finely dice the topping with cold, unsalted butter.  When I make my peach crumble, I add melted butter and stir the topping until it's in crumbles.  I may try melting the butter next time.  It would reduce the amount of work, and the amount of dish washing to be done.  Anyway, it was good!  I used frozen strawberries we froze last summer, and thawed them.


I finally tried a new recipe, that I have had printed for almost or more than a year.  It's whipped feta dip with hot honey.  I have the dip made, and just need to heat up the honey mixture to drizzle over it later today.  If you are interested in the recipe is is the website Greens and Chocolate.  She uses sour cream in her recipe.   There are other recipes online too, and I plan to try the one with greek yogurt next.

We had the feta dip at a restaurant about a year ago, and went straight home to find a recipe online.  I think it would be great for when you have company, and/or need an appetizer.



2 comments:

Leigh said...

It's so discouraging when the garden isn't doing well! Your comfort rhubarb/strawberry crumble looks delicious though. I envy your rhubarb. And the whipped feta dip sounds really interesting. I make lots of feta, so this is something we'd really like. Thanks for the link!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, thanks. I will have an update on the feta dip. I will be trying another version of it soon. This one was good though.