Skip to main content

Something new for us ~ Asparagus

 It's a brisk 44°F this morning.  We are having a much cooler May this year.  Days are in the 60-70's, but yesterday the wind was horrible.  I'm not in a hurry to get into the garden today.  Pretty chilly out there.  Our internet is going in and out for some weird reason as well, so I will get this posted.

One day I had to run into a Dollar General for a funnel for cleaning spray, and saw these cute placemats.  Of course I bought some for us.  They were only $1 each.





I did not get any advice on a magnifying glass for crafting, so I went in search of one, and decided on this one.  It's portable, not too large, and converts to a handheld version, which makes it easy to store.  There are 3 light options on it.

You cannot move the magnifying glass upwards, to make it taller or shorter, but you can bend the lens part to your desired placement.  I will let you know how it works out for small crafting, such as jewelry.  It will come in handy for any small work in the garage for my husband as well.  There are a few light options on it.  I can't remember the price, but it was inexpensive.


I caved and bought us a sprout kit system.  They came with a drip tray and black out covers  (I had been covering the jar with a towel before this).  I will be growing microgreens in these, of which I use smaller seeds.   My green microgreen tray has holes that are too big, so this will work out perfect, and I won't have to buy seed paper or hemp sheets to grow them in my green tray.  These can be washed out and reused.

I can grown lentil sprouts in these for the chickens too.  I love the stand for it, and the covers.  Before, I would prop the jars up on a towel and cover with another towel.  It is more convenient this way.  I'll update on these after I get them in use soon.

We are still getting homegrown asparagus.  It is so delicious!  I'm so glad we expanded the bed last year and this year.

I have no sprouts yet on my spring planted garlic.






Comments

Debbie said…
Those placemats are so cute! I wonder if our store will have them. You never know what you can find at the dollar store.
R's Rue said…
I love asparagus. I’m enjoying the cooler weather in my neck of the woods. Regine
Debbie, I found them at a Dollar General for $1.00/each. Dollar Tree has raised their prices to $1.25, and they do not have these. Hope you find some.
R's Rue, we are having too cold of night weather. I'm worried about the plants I put in the garden. We love our homegrown asparagus. It tastes so much better than what you buy in the store.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart