Skip to main content

Garden ~ Herb Garden

I've gotten, what I can, planted in the garden.  Not sure we'll get the raised beds built in time for the rest I wanted to plant.  My husband is working 16 hour days with little time in between to rest/sleep between shifts.  I need last few rows tilled, and can plant the last of what is actually getting planted in the larger garden.

I'm sort of worried about what has been planted in the way of a plant start right now.  Today we woke up to a chill factor of 42° (feels like), with an actual temperature of 44°F.  It's been pretty cool for nights in May this year.

I've finally added some dill seeds to the herb garden. Again worried I planted too early with the temps here lately. 

Speaking of herbs, I need to mix up a batch of "fire it up" mixture again.  The recipe is on my blog post HERE.



I'm getting more handiwork time in my evening, and not by choice.  Last night, however, I was so tired I did not want to work on the blanket.  I tried.  I really did, but out went the light.  I am banned to the living room right after dinner, so my husband can sleep.  Working 16 hours is too much for the both of us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart