Skip to main content

Happy Homemaker Monday

First thing on the agenda was go through my library loot.  I didn't get any really good gift ideas from these garden gift books.

I'm looking through this one for new recipes.  I've ordered another one for the slow cooker for "diabetic" recipes.  I will wait and see which is better to buy.  There are several recipes for this next recipe online, but I really like using crock pots for dinner (trying new recipes for easier days this summer).


One recipe from the above slow cooker cookbook - Thyme Roasted Sweet Potatoes.  Yes, those are sweet potatoes (different organic variety).  Loaded with garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes.

A second crock pot was filled with a turkey breast, loaded with seasoning and a few homemade beef bouillon cubes.

Both were delicious, and it was the first time I ever cooked a turkey breast in a crock pot.  I'll definitely make them again, and I'll be doing a turkey in the crock pot next Thanksgiving.

Homemade Beef Bouillon Cubes
3 cups organic celery, finely diced
3 cups organic carrots, finely diced
2 onions, organic, finely diced
2 Tbsp. salt
1/2 lb. organic ground beef

In a saucepan, on low heat, combine all the ingredients.  Continue to cook this on low heat, covered for about 60 minutes.  Cool.  Process ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  Spoon mixture into ice cube trays and freeze until sold.  Remove from freezer and place cubes in freezer containers.

Use to flavor meats, soups, stews, or other recipes.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 




My husband, after cooking us his famous omelets for breakfast yesterday morning, went to work on the car again.


I made a small batch of homemade seasoned salt.  I don't use it too often, but we were running low.

I'm working on another rooster name now.  Russell Crowe was removed from the coop, put into the coop with the other roosters, and another one put in with the hens.  So far, this one is not mean.  We'll be watching to see if Russell Crowe attacks the other roosters or not.  

I took advantage of a 25% off essential oil sale at MRH.  I restocked a few items too.


Today I'm joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  

The weather outside is . . .


Beautiful. We'll get into the 40's today.

On the breakfast plate . . .
Have no idea just yet.
How I am feeling this morning . . .
Pretty good.  Hubby and Daughter are both home today.

On my mind . . .
Nothing really.  Just waiting for my husband to get out of bed to get this day started.
On my reading pile . . .
I came across this author, and so far it's much like the murder series written by Joanne Fluke.  The setting is a flower shop vs. a cookie bakery, and the main character has red hair (like he Fluke books), and there are more to the series.  This is the first book.  So far, I am enjoying it.

On the TV . . .
Whatever we find interesting on Netflix.

On the menu . . .
Crock pot cod, carrots
Turkey meatballs/marinara sauce, Veggie Quinoa (both crock pot dishes)
...not sure what else just yet


What I am creating . . .


An order of "F" Bombs, another cross bookmark (an order)


From the camera . . .



Looking around the house . . .
It's not looking too bad.
Chore I am not looking forward to today . . .
Not sure what our plan is for today.  All depends on how long it takes to finish repairing the car.
To relax this week I will . . .
Read and journal

Prayers . . .
Mom, no other special requests






Comments

Grantham lynn said…
Always fun to visit from HHM. I love your photo's. You inspire. Have a good week
Jean said…
Like the idea of making a turkey breast in the crock pot! My concern would be with it not fitting...I'm guessing it must have fit okay though. Sounds wonderful. Love that Blue-jay photo! Hope you have a wonderful week!
Luludou said…
Beautiful sunrise at your house this morning. Lots of cooking and reading going on. Have a great week
mamasmercantile said…
I am a great fan of crock pot meals, one of my favourites is red cabbage with chicken breasts layered on top, it is delicious. I am going to give the beef bouillon cubes a go. I must admit I generally buy them.
Jodi said…
That sunrise...beautiful!! Love the bird pics! Have a great week
Jean, it was a boneless turkey breast. I tried to find one with bone in, but could not. Just the breast fits nicely into the crock pot.
mamasmercantile, the homemade beef bouillion cubes have come in handy and are much healthier.
Thanks Jodi, taking a dog out to do his business has it's benefits - seeing the sunrise before it disappears.
Rebecca Knox said…
Thanks for sharing the recipe for the homemade beef bouillion cubes! Would that work for chicken the same way...just use chicken instead of beef? Enjoyed readying your post and hope your week is going well. Blessings! <3
Rebecca, I bet it would be great with ground chicken for chicken bouillon cubes. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart