Skip to main content

Egg shells ~ Garlic in Grow Bags ~ Three New Recipes

I took some egg shells out to toss in the garden (where the tomatoes will be planted), and took a look-see at the garlic.



I am thrilled to say, that some of it has green tops.  Not all, but I'm hoping it all comes up.  The only downside of grow bags - squirrels.  I had to plant a garlic clove that a rodent dug up.  Otherwise, I am a happy gal to see this.

Tried three new recipes yesterday.  Due to lack of ingredients on hand, each one was adjusted.


Cod in the crock pot with seasonings and onion.  Didn't have red onion, so I used white.  It cooked perfectly and tasted great.


Veggie quinoa in the crock pot.  Didn't have carrots, so I just made it without.  Cookbook said cook 4-6 hours on low.  It cooked in 4.


Low carb chocolate chip cookies (almond flour).  I didn't have maple syrup for these.  I didn't have any eggs, so this recipe was fitting to try.  These were so good!

The first two recipes are in the cook book, "Fix-It and Forget-it Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook.  The cookie recipe is online (Almond Flour Cookies with no eggs, Detoxinista).

Comments

Carol said…
Each of those look delicious! I am working to make my husband low carb meals as well. I am sure that he would enjoy the cookies.
mamasmercantile said…
I loved the look of the crock pot cod and am quite keen to give the cookies a try.
mamasmercantile, the cod was delicious. All three recipes were.
Susan said…
Those cookies are right up my alley! I use my egg shells, too - I crush them up and feed them back to the chickens to help their calcium intake. I also add them to whatever bed I will be growing zucchini in. If I forget, and the leaves start to droop, I stick some Tums by the roots!
Susan, thanks for those tips. Good to know.
Sam I Am...... said…
Your dishes look so tasty! Your garlic is amazing. Good day I'd say!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart