Skip to main content

Peas and Cauliflower for Breakfast ~ Mixing up Herbs ~ Timmy

Shell peas are slowly coming on, so I decided to take the first picked bit, and toss it into a breakfast frittata.  I did not have enough for a meal for all of us, nor enough to freeze.

This time I used cauliflower, potatoes (sliced), and peas. 

I had one green bell pepper ready to pick, and one hot banana pepper.  I tossed all of that into my cast iron skillet (cooking all the vegetables first), and did not add any other spice/herb.  I just added salt and pepper and it was delicious.


Now about the peas.  I boiled them in a separate pot before adding them to the pan.  I tasted it all before I added the eggs.  

There is a bistro that Hubby and I go to on our "date" night rides sometimes, and the sell a side dish that is cauliflower, hashbrowns and peas.  It's delicious.

I have been playing around trying to duplicate that recipe, but without  the bad fat (I'm sure the restaurant uses a bad oil to grill their recipe).  I also simply slice the potatoes, and I use organic coconut oil.  

It finally rained this morning, but not enough sadly.  Just a quick spurt.

Yesterday, two girls joined me in the kitchen.  Most afternoons, I mix up one type of herbal tea and enjoy it on the porch.  Both girls told me they felt they were getting worn out and possible sick and needed an immune booster tea.  Most of the time my kids just roll their eyes and go on with their day, when it comes to my suggestions.  But there they were asking for a tea.  Both had nettle to give their body a dose of healing from exhaustion.  I had to laugh when one looked over at my tea infuser and said, "that looks interesting Mom, what is in yours?"  I made ginger/lemon (freshly grated ginger, and fresh squeezed organic lemon), but tossed in some bilberries. 

We'll I'm glad we have a "Vet Tech" in training.  Our poor cat Timmy had a moment yesterday.  One daughter picked him up on the porch and he went all over her lap.  Then we saw blood.  We all kind of went into panic mode and screamed for  "Vet Tech" daughter.  She calming inspected the scene and said, "he's got urinary stones."  He passed one, but we put him in a kennel to watch over him and make sure he passed them all, or if he'll need vet care. So far he's okay. 

 

Comments

RB said…
That frittata sounds good. Saw on a cooking show where she made them, cut them into quarters and made sandwiches of them. That looked good too. And what a great way to use up bits and pieces of meat or vegies that otherwise wouldn't be enough for a meal.
Glad Timmy's going to be ok. Had to hurt. Prayers for the little furfella.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, we kept an eye on Timmy and he seems to be okay, but he's mad we put him in a kennel for a night. He'll slowly start loving up to us again soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart