Skip to main content

Sweet Cherry Jam and the Strawberry Saga

First, I have to tell you about the strawberries.  We have one plant that survived last year's monsoon, so we have zero strawberries.  Some years it's just how it goes.  We planted everybearing, and we did not like them anyway (small harvest, small berries, and never enough to can jam).

There is a place about 25 minutes or so from our house which sells very good strawberries.  This place is known for their strawberries.  They are huge and tasty.

I called, and found out that they were selling for only for one more day, and were picking that morning, and were to start selling at 9am.


I skipped all morning work, and headed out there.  I got there at 8:55am.  The parking lot was packed, and there was a huge line, and people were leaving with loads of strawberries.  Hmpf.  Selling before 9am?

I get in line.  At 9:08am I was back in my car, heading home, with zero strawberries. They sold out before I got any.  There were about 12 people standing in front of me.  It was the last day they were selling strawberries.

I got in my car headed back to home, but kept going, and went to the grocery store.  There I picked up a few expensive containers of organic strawberries, and some organic sweet cherries (cherries are $5/lb, shhhh, don't tell Hubby).   I headed home frustrated, but at least I will have a few small batches of jam.


A new jam is made!  This year's newest, first tried jam is Sweet Cherry Jam (ball recipe).  Considering we planted a cherry tree this year, I thought it was fitting to make some jam and give it a try.  I made reduced sugar.

What's on my wish list now?  A cherry pitter.  We won't really need one for a few years (unless I buy cherries), but it will surely make my work easier.  And I won't have blue fingers and fingernails.

My pocket book may be lighter, but my pantry is filling up. 

A cherry pie sounds good too.  Cherry juice.  Gosh, I may need another tree. 

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Cherries are my favorite...the pie cherries for jam, pies and anything else with sour cherries...LOVE! We had a cherry tree on the farm and I loved it. So sorry about your strawberry misadventure....it's like people showing up for a garage sale when it's 7:00 a.m. and it doesn't start until 8:00. Just remember...cheaters never prosper...in the end! LOL! Your jam looks beautiful!
Thanks Sam I Am. I hope to find strawberries to get strawberry jam made soon too.
RB said…
Cherry and strawberry jam sounds wonderful. Cherry Pie was always my very favorite.
You know you can pit cherries without an actual cherry pitter. You can do it with a sturdy plastic drinking straw. They show how here...
http://bakingbites.com/2013/07/how-to-pit-cherries-without-a-cherry-pitter/
Prayers everyone has a safe holiday and a blessed week.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB thanks for that tip. I did not know.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart