Skip to main content

Lemon Extract ~ Tinctures

I drained the last jar of lemon extract I had in the making.  this will last about a year or longer in our house.  It's not used as much as vanilla extract, which we go through a lot faster.


My catnip seeds are starting to flourish.  These were not picked wild, but planted with organic seeds.  The house cats went bonkers when they smelled it hanging.  It was so funny watching them try to get to it.  Timmy already located the pot outdoors, and I see him rubbing on the leaves often.

I use the catnip for making a catnip tincture.  I use it for bug spray making and for insomnia.  I'm sure I'll find more uses as I learn.

 New tincture - billberry.  I read you can use the leaves and the berries.  I have to order mine.  They are not cheap either.   I ran my dried berries through the food processor as well as I could, and this 4 oz. bag just about filled the pint jar halfway.  I filled the rest with vodka.  This is good for eyesight, strengthening the blood vessel walls and more.

If you want more information on making tinctures, go to this site online:  Mountain Rose Herbs (tinctures/extracts).

For more information on what bilberries can do for you, go to this site online:  Herbal Wisdom

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Interesting about tinctures. Mountain Rose is a great company. Hope you enjoyed your 4th!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart