Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

In order to make bread pudding the other day, which is what the whiskey butterscotch sauce was for, I had to bake the bread.

This is apple pie bread pudding.  I bake it in a pie pan.  I've only made this twice, and each time tweeking the recipe a bit.  It's a bit dry on top, and not like the ooey gooey apple pie filling.  It's simply apples, brown sugar and corn starch.  However, when we top this with whipped cream and whiskey butterscotch sauce.....oh my!  It was my special surprise for Hubby.  He's back on days now, but struggling to adjust to sleeping at night.


Sweet pickle relish has been canned, but we need pickles too. So far, I'm not getting enough at one time, but hope to after our recent rain (so thankful for that down pour).  If I recall right, my first relish recipe called for carrots, but I used the Ball recipe this time (using apple cider vinegar).


The beans continue to come in.  I'm down to picking every other day now.  One daughter complained she'll see green beans in her dreams, she has seen so many of them, ha ha!  And that is how we want it.  Lots of harvest this year.  I'm sure we are well over 26 pounds, but I have been forgetful to weigh them lately.  This strainer held about 2-3 pounds.

This was my brunch the other day.  No time for breakfast.  It was a dandelion/egg scramble with garden zucchini, and homemade bread with home canned blueberry/cinnamon jam.  It got me through to dinner time.  Dinner was baked Mac n' Cheese, and home grown peas.  Brunch was on the porch, but dinner was not.  It was too hot again.

My tea infusion yesterday was a bit of fresh snipped sage and nettle.  I have not made my next tincture, as I am so far behind on drying my herbs.  I have to get that done now that we had one good rain shower.  

My notes, and sticky notes are piling up again.  I have them in every room, reminding me of what needs done, including finish an article for a magazine.  I am just so exhausted, morning and night (hence the nettle in my teas).  I have a pile growing in my hallway, that needs to be deposited at the local thrift too.  My main concerns are the larger outdoor jobs that need done.  I'm starting to wonder if I need a plan B for my potato harvest, cabbage harvest, etc.

Comments

Sandra said…
the bread looks yummy.
I haven't done much cooking or canning, it is has been too hot. We froze the blueberries so we could make jam later, after it has cooled down.
Sandra, I hear ya'
It's been very hot here too.
Susan said…
Oooh! Apple pie bread pudding! It sounds so wonderful! I am dragging in this weather, too, but there is still much that needs to be done, heat wave or not! Let's hope it passes soon.
Katmom said…
ok,,, I have to laugh,,, I am glad to see I am not the only one who had bags and bags full of stuff waiting for a trip to the Thrift shop...lol! I finally got mine to the Thrift after sitting in the back hallway for 2weeks,,, lol!
Mama Pea said…
Even hot here in northern Minnesota, too. Way too hot! It sure takes a toll on the body and what you can push yourself to get done outside. We had a brief rain shower right after dawn this morning, but not as much as we could use. About all it did was cling to everything and make the humidity that much worse. So humid my shell peas still weren't dry when I finally went out to pick them after lunch. Yuck.
Susan, I sure hope we get a break from the heat soon.
Katmom, it's probably a good think I haven't gone yet. The girls are cleaning out old clothes before their school starts again next month. The pile continues to grow until I get a free chance to drive it over.
Mama Pea, I'm hoping we all get a break soon. It will be around 92° here today (blech, and I have to water everything today).
RB said…
The bread pudding sounds luscious. Brother loves bread pudding. Am going to have to try your recipe once winter comes.
Prayers everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart