Skip to main content

Garden ~ Herb Garden

The zucchini is doing well, and cucumbers are just now starting to come in.  Our hot peppers and green bell peppers are behind, and we do not have any broccoli yet (oddly, it's usually the first).  I'll be out picking peas, and maybe green beans today.  It all depends on how well this last small bit of rain did.



Picked our first cucumber this year.  Delicious!  We only had one ripe one, so I am hoping we get many at once to can pickles.



The french breakfast radishes are still producing.  It's crazy.  I know we planted late, but the cherry belle are not even all ready to can relish yet.  I saved the best radish greens for another meal.

Our lettuce is done this season.  We made one last large salad, topping it with radishes and cucumber.  

My garlic is about ready to pull also.  I pulled one yesterday, as it had no green on it, but the bulb is not very big (lack of rain).


I had two elderberry flowers on my trees, so those were dried for future medicinal reasons.  I used two earlier to make tea infusions for curing my sinus infection, and these were the only two left.  I gave them a rinse with cold water, and placed them onto a piece of cardboard.  They dried very quickly, and will be stored in a canning jar.


My mullein plant (in a pot) flowered this year.  It took two years to get this.  I am picking flowers daily now to dry for medicinal purposes.  You can use the flower and the leaf.

Calendula is just now starting to flower as well.  I use those for many recipes.  Did you know you can put calendula petals in your salad?  


Update on the zucchini salsa:  We were discussing the salsa thickness right after I posted my blogpost.  We felt the last batch last year was too thick.  Hubby wanted a bit more liquid, so  am I canning another batch today, leaving the corn starch out, and will not drain the tomatoes. I'll put the updated taste testing on the zucchini salsa post.   I see I have a few jalapeno peppers out in the garden, so I may put more jalapenos in this batch.

If you are wondering, we had almost zero wild black raspberries this season.  We ate about two handfuls, and I did not can jam.  The lack of rain, and high heat here, dried up most of them.  I just hope that doesn't cause next year's harvest to be less. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart