Skip to main content

Unwanted Guests

Sometimes walking a dog (or two, or three) can take me to areas of the property I haven't been to for a few days. 

I was out walking King yesterday, and he kept pulling me (bad habit of his) to the walnut tree.  I thought, "okay, maybe your scent will keep the squirrel out of my fruit trees."

So we walked directly over to the black walnut tree.


And this is what I found hiding in the leaves - walnut caterpillars.  You can see they are white.  There were a ton of them.  I quickly got a bucket of water and soap and cut the leaves directly over the bucket.  I got all the ones I could see.  I hope that was all of them.

While weeding and picking beans recently (before discovering these in the tree), we have found two in the vegetable garden.  I thought it was strange, because in all the years here, we've never see a white caterpillar.  Now I know what they are and what damage they can do.  

I was too tired last night to blanch the basket of green beans, so I took the peas to the porch to shell.  Boy it was hot and humid.  Not like the previous night.  However, it rained last night (woohoo!).  I am so thankful for that.  

It's too wet to weed, but I got a lot done yesterday.  I spent the last hour out in the garden, crawling between the rows of popcorn, pulling weeds from the pumpkin mounds. 

Our broccoli is just now coming on.   We tasted our first green bell pepper yesterday in our breakfast too.  Peanuts are flowering as well.  I best get busy.  I have kale and dandelions to blanch, as well as yesterday's green beans.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
You have unwanted guests and I am preparing for some very much wanted guests! LOL! I am spending time in the guest room cleaning as it is where I stash my yarn from Miss Peeps. I've been organizing it and storing in plastic bins with lids so she can't get at it.
I have never seen white caterpillars either. They're not those ones that make those huge webs int he trees are they? I've seen those before and had them in my crabapple trees on my farm. You're going to be very busy when that garden starts coming in which is soon it sounds like! As if you're not busy enough! LOL! Glad you got some rain! Green peppers? Good for you!
Sam I am, in the years we've lived here (going on 9 years) we have never seen them. Last year I had worms in the apple trees, but no apples. Glad you are getting some organizing done.
Liz said…
That would not be a good sight to see! Hope you got them all! We had bag worms this year. I pulled out the first "bag" and fed them to the chickens. The second bag we burned, haven't seen anymore.
Liz, I hope I got them all. I plan on checking the tree again today.
RB said…
Very interesting!!! Never knew about the white caterpillars. Don't think I've ever seen one either.
You're growing peanuts? Is it hot enough up there to grow them?
Hope everyone's having a great day, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it's may get up to the mid-90's tomorrow or the next day here. It's been very dry and hot this year. We've never grown peanuts, and we just wanted to try it. They are heirloom variety and pretty small.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart