Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 11, 2016

Island Trip

The camping trip was not the end of Hubby's vacation.  He planned out the entire week, and made sure we had a few nights to ourselves. 

Sort of.

He took me to the island.  The Yurts were booked, so this time he got us a very nice Bed and Breakfast to stay at.

We actually got the chance to see the sunset on the island this trip.  It happens on the west of the island where there is just one marina and restaurant/pub.  You can see all the people that walk all the way out and get photos of it.
 




 This is the island grocery store.  I love the flowers up on the roof.


Friday nights, on the island, one particular location sells wings from 5-7pm.  They are marinated, then they are baked, and finally grilled.  Oh my gosh they were good.  Messy but good.  People come over to the island just to eat them.  If you don't get your order in early, they do run out and you go without.  It was totally worth waiting for.  What a busy place, but oh so good.

As for the "sort of" part, we had "date crashers" arrive.  Four family members showed up late Saturday night, so we spent the night directing them around the island for their first time.  We ended up so tired we went directly to bed after that.  

If we get a chance to go back over again, we have a plan for new places to eat.  The owner to the bed and breakfast, has a farm (her family) on the island with meat cattle and chickens.  We actually had their eggs for our breakfast.  Anyway, we found out where they sell the steaks from those cattle, so we'll be back to try a locally, grass fed steak.

I took this photo from a small Mexican eatery on the island.  The cattle are right across the street.  

Well, although my postings look like we had a 2 week vacation, it was only a week (and in and out of the homestead).  

I'm afraid to go out and visit the garden yet this morning.  It's back to work today for us.   I will try to catch up on all your blogposts soon.  I am sure my chickens need their coop clean and my utility room has a mountain of dirty clothes.  Oh my gosh, you should see the weeds in my rose bed too.  One night of rain, and gone for 3 days....yikes!! 

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I think short vacations away like you had during the week are the best. (I need to sleep in my own bed frequently!) Too bad about your Saturday night "visitors." That really took away from the time the two of you had. But being there still gave you ideas for your next getaway! That should be fun to plan for.

Sam I Am...... said...

You must live in Northern Ohio near Lake Erie. I kept wondering what islands were in Ohio? LOL! I forgot about it bordering Lake Erie...geography was evidently not my strong suit. How lovely and so sorry about the date crashers....that's rude! It's so funny how people love to pair you up when you're single but once you're married they do nothing to support the marriage....like leaving you alone when the 2 of you go off together. Really? What were they thinking?

Rain said...

Your vacation sounds really lovely, we all need something like that now and then. Ever since we moved to the mountains, my boyfriend and I feel like we are on permanent vacation. If we think of our ideal spot to spend vacation time, it's exactly where we are right now!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I was pretty upset about the "crashers" as it was very important to me to spend time with just Hubby. He's working way more hours right after we returned. I hope we can save up to take another trip over. It's an expensive place to visit. They charge $16 each way just to bring your car over, not including ferry cost for each person round trip. We've learned to not let anyone but my mother know where we are going. We typically have to go somewhere close to the home, which makes it too easy for someone to crash our getaway.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, yes, it's only a one hour drive for us to get to the ferry. We may take the motorcycle next time (if we get the chance). It's less expensive to take over. You are right about the younger generation. They make assumptions and sadly these "crashers" assumed we were at the campground and had intentions of just inviting themselves to stay overnight. All four of them. Just rude, but we won't let it happen again.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I told Hubby we need a permanent place somewhere to getaway more often (even for a day or night), but he's afraid we'll grow tired of it. It sounds like the mountains is a lovely place to be.

RB said...

The island sounds lovely.
What a blessing it is to be able to get away, if even for just a short while.
God bless.
RB
<><

RB said...

It's always nice to get away, if even for just a few days.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, although it was way too short, we really enjoyed the time together.