Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup


On a whim, I decided to find a recipe for making my own condensed cream of mushroom soup.  There are many recipes I do not make anymore, simply because I don't want to feed my family those canned foods.


Low and behold, I found one online that won us over.  I found it at Simply Scratch.   Of course you can use your own homemade vegetable broth, organic or homemade butter, home grown shallots, and goat's milk or organic milk.  The recipe is equal to a typical can of condensed soup you'd buy at the store.

It smells so good when the shallots are cooking in the butter too.  Mmmm!

Note:  Use a shallow skillet vs. a small pan, and when you add the milk and broth, whisk a little in at a time, allowing it to thicken.



I am very happy with my results, and can't wait to taste it in a few family recipes.  It can be frozen too.  And you can bet, that I will be making homemade condensed cream of chicken and celery too.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate that canned stuff, I won't use it. High sodium, and nasty. I'm still surprised it's sold:(

Cris said...

Well THAT is a handy recipe to have! Thanks--I've pinned it for later. :-)

Candy C. said...

I won't use the canned stuff either, blech! This looks lovely, to heck with using it in a recipe, just give me a spoon! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are right about wanting to simply eat it vs. save it for a recipe. I am so tickled that I can mix these soups up and freeze them. with the size of my family, this will come in handy.

Sam I Am...... said...

Awesome! I can't wait to try it! Thank you for researching it for us.

Mama Pea said...

Oh boy, am I glad to have this! Same with me, I haven't made some of my old favorite recipes because of not wanting to use canned cream of mushroom (or chicken or celery) soup. Thank you, thank you, thank you! And the fact that it can be frozen. Whoopee! You've made my day!