Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .




. . . made homemade chewy granola bars. These, although buttery, were absolutely amazing.  The flavor is incredible.  This was the first time we used almond flour and ground mace.  I found the almond flour less expensive at the health store, vs. at the grocery store.  If I find more recipes to use the flour in, I will make my own almond flour, using my dehydrator.  The store brand we were buying contained High Fructose Corn Syrup.



Chewy Granola Bars
(from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, by Cheryl Day and Griffith Day)

1 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used organic)
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 cup salted cashew pieces, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried prunes, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried blueberries
12 tablespoons, unsalted butter, melted (I used organic)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup (Grade B) Maple syrup (I used Grade A)
2 Tbsp. water

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.  Line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment, leaving an overhang on the two opposite sides.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, almond flour, spices, cashews, and dried fruit.  Mix well.

In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, vanilla, maple syrup, and 2 tablespoons of water.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Press the granola mixture evenly into the prepared pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the pan around after 15 minutes for even baking, until the edges and top turn golden.  Lift the sides of the parchment and transfer the slab of granola to a wire rack to cool.

When it is completely cooled, remove the slab of granola from the parchment to a cutting board and cut into 24 squares with a heavy knife.  Wrap the individual squares in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Note:  I did bake mine a bit past 30 minutes.  It could just be my old oven, but letting you know.

                


. . . made 5 1/2 pints of homemade vanilla extract.  

  

Comments

I'll keep this recipe in mind. Minus the prunes I think.
You don't even taste the prunes. When I asked family members what they thought was in them, most said peanut butter and raisins. They loved these.
Unknown said…
Sounds like the Kashi bars I buy. Not a big fan of maple though, unless it's on hotcakes with bacon!
Candy C. said…
I love homemade granola bars but haven't had a whole lot of luck making them, thanks for this recipe!
P.S. Where did you get your vanilla beans?
I got my vanilla beans from http://www.beanilla.com/
Michelle said…
I have 5 pint jars that I started in Sept. I keep them in my closet. Its dark and cool in there. I usually let them sit 6 to 8 months. The flavor is so good.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart