Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, February 14, 2013

From the Homesteading Journal . . .




. . . made homemade chewy granola bars. These, although buttery, were absolutely amazing.  The flavor is incredible.  This was the first time we used almond flour and ground mace.  I found the almond flour less expensive at the health store, vs. at the grocery store.  If I find more recipes to use the flour in, I will make my own almond flour, using my dehydrator.  The store brand we were buying contained High Fructose Corn Syrup.



Chewy Granola Bars
(from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, by Cheryl Day and Griffith Day)

1 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used organic)
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 cup salted cashew pieces, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried prunes, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried blueberries
12 tablespoons, unsalted butter, melted (I used organic)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup (Grade B) Maple syrup (I used Grade A)
2 Tbsp. water

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.  Line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment, leaving an overhang on the two opposite sides.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, almond flour, spices, cashews, and dried fruit.  Mix well.

In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, vanilla, maple syrup, and 2 tablespoons of water.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Press the granola mixture evenly into the prepared pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the pan around after 15 minutes for even baking, until the edges and top turn golden.  Lift the sides of the parchment and transfer the slab of granola to a wire rack to cool.

When it is completely cooled, remove the slab of granola from the parchment to a cutting board and cut into 24 squares with a heavy knife.  Wrap the individual squares in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Note:  I did bake mine a bit past 30 minutes.  It could just be my old oven, but letting you know.

                


. . . made 5 1/2 pints of homemade vanilla extract.  

  

6 comments:

onesimplefarmgirl2 said...

I'll keep this recipe in mind. Minus the prunes I think.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You don't even taste the prunes. When I asked family members what they thought was in them, most said peanut butter and raisins. They loved these.

Unknown said...

Sounds like the Kashi bars I buy. Not a big fan of maple though, unless it's on hotcakes with bacon!

Candy C. said...

I love homemade granola bars but haven't had a whole lot of luck making them, thanks for this recipe!
P.S. Where did you get your vanilla beans?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I got my vanilla beans from http://www.beanilla.com/

Michelle said...

I have 5 pint jars that I started in Sept. I keep them in my closet. Its dark and cool in there. I usually let them sit 6 to 8 months. The flavor is so good.