Skip to main content

Healthier Hash

 (before adding turkey and cream)

I made another new recipe - Tasty Turkey Hash.  However, the "tasty" part wasn't what I was thinking when I ate my first bite.

This recipe lacks flavor.  In a last minute effort to make this dish "pop" I mixed in 1/2 tsp. of my ground jalapeno/cayenne pepper mix.  

If you do try this recipe, I'd like to know what you added to it, to add flavor. 

I know ginger and garlic are good with sweet potatoes, but I'm not sure about the turkey.  What would you add?

Some of the kids topped it with shredded cheddar cheese and ate in it in a soft tortilla.   

Leftover Tip:  Add scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito (any a hot sauce if you like it).

Tempting Turkey Hash
(adapted from Tired and Wired, by Marcelle Pick)

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped, organic
1/2 small onion, chopped, homegrown
1 medium sweet potato, diced, organic or homegrown
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, again home grown (no chemicals)
1 1/2 cups cooked turkey, cubed (home raised or organic)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons cream (we used organic milk)
*1/2 tsp. ground hot pepper (our addition, used a combo of cayenne and jalapeno, also organically grown)

In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute pepper and onion approximately 2 minutes, or until softened.  Add sweet potato and thyme, stirring occasionally, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.  Add turkey, and season with salt and pepper.  Slowly stir in cream and simmer for 2-4 minutes, or until mixture thickens.  Serve.

Servings:  2     

Comments

EMMA said…
I added dried apricots and sage to turkey and oat meat balls once, totally brought out the flavor of the meat!
Thanks Emma,
That sounds good too.
Candy C. said…
It's always a bummer when a recipe isn't as good as we had hoped. All the ingredients sound like it would be good; though with just the thyme for seasoning, I can see where it might be a tad bit bland.
They can't all be 5-star recipes I guess!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart